Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
02Tacoman
AF Newbie

Fuel Economy Modifications

Hi all... Following the total loss of my 99 F-150 and subsequent rape by my insurance company, I now own a 02 TRD 4X4 6cyl. 5-speed Tacoma. I researched things out quite a bit in looking for a durable and more fuel efficeint truck that meets my needs, and feel I came out a winner in choosing a Tacoma.

I have some mechanical ability but nothing near that of most of you who provide advice on the site. I have reviewed most of the info the site provides and also the links, but due to my limited knowledge and experience I'd like to start a thread that discusses modifications that others have made which have improved fuel economy. Sure I care about performance, but I have enough muscle with the truck as it is to do what I want, so more Hp is just a bonus. And no offense to others, but it doesn't really matter to me what my truck sounds like as long as it's not annoying loud.

I don't want to start any arguments about mpg gains that other member's claim they've gotten, and realize that a dyno & contolled testing is the only "true" proof of perfomance gains. I do trust that most people are honest though, and if they say they got more mpg after a modification then I'll believe them. Let's assume everyone's engine is running fine, they keep their tires inflated, and everything is lubricated as it should be.

So.... What have you done that I can do to improve the fuel economy on my Taco, besides lighthen up on the right foot or stay home more often?
02Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
bearcat329
AF Regular

Talking Re: Fuel Economy Modifications

a few things you can do:
keep it properly tuned up
keep the tire pressure at the recommended psi
drive like your grandmother

OK! that's the standard advice

now what i've done
added a K&N air filter, drilled 3, 2 inch holes in the airbox on the intake side!, removed the stock elbow
i have a 96 taco with the 2.7L engine, it's a supercab 4X4, with 31 inch tires
running around town i routinly get 19 mpg
i think if i went with a flowmaster catback exhaust, i could up it a bit
hth
Rick, Ore
bearcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
02Tacoman
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Fuel Economy Modifications

Thanks bearcat329...

Can anybody else out there talk about specific intake modifications or aftermarket intake products that have worked in improving gas mileage??? How about some of those things you can find at JC Whitney??? Did you try one and it worked???

How about the exhaust??? If an engine inhales better it improves power and fuel economy, so what if it exhales better??? Can anyone give specific benefits from any exhaust modifications (headers, pipes, etc.)

How about lubrication??? Has anyone realized improvement from going all synthetic with their oils and grease??? Or how about controversial additives???

Has anyone found a tire that seems to outperform others in regard to mileage and ride???

Thanks in advance for any reply's...

p.s. I'm liking my truck more and more every day.
02Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
joeprunc
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Economy Modifications

I've always been a firm believer in the tune ups (like bearcat said):
-Plugs
-Wires
-Air filter
-fuel filter

But the biggest saver hands down is with HWY driving. Keep it below 65 mph and you will see a difference in mpg.
joeprunc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma