Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
dennyge
AF Newbie

Rear End Hummmmmm

About 2 weeks ago, I began hearing a suspicious hum coming from the rear end (not my rear end, the truck's!) of my 99 5.9L. I originally thought it was a tire hum, but letting off of the accelerator causes the hum to go away. I am guessing something is amiss in the differential or driveshaft. Not being much of a serious mechanic, and not having a whole lot of extra $$$, what would you suggest?
dennyge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
edbrycem
AF Regular

Re: Rear End Hummmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyge
About 2 weeks ago, I began hearing a suspicious hum coming from the rear end (not my rear end, the truck's!) of my 99 5.9L. I originally thought it was a tire hum, but letting off of the accelerator causes the hum to go away. I am guessing something is amiss in the differential or driveshaft. Not being much of a serious mechanic, and not having a whole lot of extra $$$, what would you suggest?
my 98 had a hmmmmm also and it happend when i let off the gas and then it progressed to constant but worse when i let the gas off. It was the rear pinion bearing. common on these trucks. a way to check that is crawl underneath the truck, grab the u-joint where it goes into the pumpkin, shake it like a mad-man and if it moves, its your bearing, if it doesn't, i'd take a look at your rearend gears, also common failure w/ these trucks. be sure to use a synthetic gear lube if you drop the pumpkin cover.
edbrycem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
wafrederick
Banned

To take the rear end apart,you do need a special tool from Chrysler made by Miller tool.I do not remember the tool number and looks like a long 5/8'' hexbar with an attachment on it,it goes through the axle tube.The tool helps with setting the backlash.Before taking apart,check the backlash with a dial indicator and write that down somewhere.Inspect the rubber fill plug also,those are known for leaking
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
dennyge
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will do some more investigating on this. What kind of cost am I looking at if it is a bearing?
dennyge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
edbrycem
AF Regular

The bearing, crush sleeve, inner&outer races and seal cost me150-175.00. I dont remember. That was at a local auto store but out of the several stores we have here they were the only one who didn't have to order it. Also I was told to make sure its a quality bearing, i guess there are some crappy ones out there. I bought a Timkin I think thats how its spelled. I was told that was a quality one. I only put 3000 mi. since replacd but so far so good. You are SUPPOSE to use a special tool, but we got away w/out it. It pays to know proffesional mechanics. Either way the rear gears would come out so inspect the gears for flaking cuz i dont think you will wanna do this again if you dont have to.
edbrycem is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10