Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 01:10 AM   #1
97teg
AF Enthusiast

exhausts

i've been looking for exhaust for my car and i was about to get the greddy evo exhaust for my teg today. then my friend told me about his experience with his, he said there was a noticable loss at the low end and wouldnt recommend it unless i went FI real soon. i can see why, cuz its pipe diameter is larger for maximum flow. so that changed my mind fast.

so now i'm back to trying to decide which exhaust to get. i know i'll need a pipe diameter that isnt as large so i wont lose as much low end power. what should i get? i was thinking apexi world sport? dc? greddy sp? i dont want the bumble bee sound and i dont want anything really loud until WOT.
97teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeffie7 Send a message via AIM to jeffie7
Im sick of people bitching about low end loses...... come on

Im not saying you are but your friend pointed it out

lets look at it this way

stock you run 0-60 in 8.8 secs "not saying you do but just a sample.."
you also run 0-30 in 5 secs ok now after putting exhuast on if you will run 0-30 in 4.2 secs and 0-60 in 8.0 secs

damn you lost low end but yet you can do a 1/4 mile faster? I guess its not smart to get one.....

bottom line hondas are made to be quiet there for the exhuast and intakes really really really blow

first thing you should do is your intake you will see a BIG gain with the intake then work on the exhuast

if you have a good exhuast its only as good as the air you can get into the engine if you still have the stock intake then its kinda pointless to do an exhuast unless your all about sound looks and no go =)

lets say you put just the exhaust on the car you would see about a 4HP gain if that do the intake first then the exhuast and I bet it would be more like a 6 hp gain

as far as what company to go with go with what ever fits the price right shop around and don't buy by name buy by how its put together my exhuast cost 280 norm 500 =) shop around like I said hehe anywho it was 280 and its 2.5" piping from the cat back I could have bought a greddy for twice as much but um nah I like saving money same for intake check out ebaymoters.com and look up intakes you can get a no name brand intake for around 60-70 bucks or shirt ram intake for 20-30 bucks

or buy a AEM intake for 200+

I say go for the 60 buck coldair intake

one last thing about the lose of torque its a honda engine who cares anyways =) unless your building a autox car go for all the top end power
in the end you will have a faster 1/4 mile plus if your racing you wont start off below 2500-3000RPMs anyway so why worry=)
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #3
97teg
AF Enthusiast

i'm not flaming or anything, but here's why people dont want to lose low end power. maybe the 1/4 time is faster, but for most of us, these are our daily driven cars. so between traffic lights and stuff, are you gonna keep it up near the red line? no. if its an all out drag car, then thats what the large diameter exhausts are for, but for an everyday street driven car, you will want to keep as much low end as possible so it wont suck to drive unless you drive WOT everywhere.
97teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
kidrocket
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kidrocket
apex WS
kidrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 10:27 PM   #5
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeffie7 Send a message via AIM to jeffie7
I myself found my car to be much more peppy at both low end and top end with the exhuast and intake the throttle response is MUCH better

right now I have a coldairintake and 4-2-1 into a stright testpipe and then to 2.5" piping with a stright thu muffler so Im pretty much running stright pipiing =) my 0-60 is in the 6 sec range but even below 4000RPM it still has really good pick up

I guess if your really that worried about your 0-10mph speed then stick with the stock exhuast or just sell your car and get a stang or something made to have low end torque

its like buying a bike and not liking it becuase you have to rev it to 15K RPM to make any real power well just like bikes honda engines are made to be reved high

I love shifting mine at 8000RPM =)

if your really set in keeping the honda want a exhuast system and are really picky about the torque then get a supertrapp "sp" exhuast system its a fully tunable exhuast you can add or take parts out to make more or less backpressure
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote