Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
jcook1
AF Newbie

Buick Riviera Starting Problem - Urgent!

Thanks everyone for reading my note; I appreciate it greatly.
We have a 1995 Riviera that has gotten very frustrating over the last few months - at times, it would just fail to start; then after waiting 10-to-15 minutes or so <and trying it several more times in the interim>, it would finally start, and after that run fine. Other times it would simply start normally and run smoothly for whatever trip we happenned to be on. However lately it has gotten very unpredictable ~ the "failing to start" has been occurring more and more, to the point now where it's not reliable to drive.
We've had it to several mechanics; one put in a new fuel pump <when that broke down>, and through verious checks of the ignition systerm, these mechanics could not pinpoint the starting problem, other to say that it probably had something to do with the inner workings of the computer / ignition system connection, hence we took it to a Buick dealer. They put in a PVC box <sp. ?>, yet almost immediately after getting the car back, the same problem was still there, basically unsolved. We managed to get it back to the dealer again; one mechanic suggested putting in a crank sensor, but another technician vetoed that idea, and from what he was hearing, to go instead with a new starter ~ which would make sense if not for the fact that a short time ago one of the other mechanics we had the car to <not the Buick dealer> said the starter was fine!!! So we're very reluctant to go down that road since <1>, the Buick mechanic said he could give no certainty that replacing the starter would solve the problem <2> another mechanic already said the starter is ok, and <3> it's expensive!!!
Any thoughts opinions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

John Cook
jcook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
jrn1023
AF Newbie

There could be a number of reasons for this as, I'm sure, a number of us can attest to. My sons '95 Riv. was having issues with cold starts. It'd require some pumping of the gas to get it going. Once warmed, the engine would turn right over.

I recently replaced the spark plugs for normal maintenance purposes not figuring that it'd have any affect on the cold start. Once they were replace, the engine cranks over immediately. We'll have to see how long that lasts, but for now I believe that took care of his starting problems. If you haven't changed the plugs in a while you may want to give it a try.
jrn1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: Buick Riviera Starting Problem - Urgent!

This link may help, try to absorb only what is relevant and discard the rest.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...or+replacement
Crank position sensor - '95 LeSabre Dies Without Warning
HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
pppppaul
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pppppaul Send a message via Yahoo to pppppaul

I had the same problem with my riv at 96k. It took me $1000 to find out that it needed a steering column wire harness. There are about 6 different contacts at the ignition switch (one of which turns on the actual coil system to fire the sparkplugs) and the contact had built up ark deposits that would not allow current to flow thru it. All the other 5 contacts were fine, but the one that turns on the spark was not. So the engine would crank, fire the injectors but would not start. I put a new GM harness(which has the switch right on it) for the tune of $150. It would be possible to clean the contact off and probably go another 96k, but I just put a new one on it.
pppppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
cired
AF Newbie

I was wondering if Jcook1 got his car fix with the GM harness. My 97 Riviera is doing the same thing.
cired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Calabs
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Buick Riviera Starting Problem - Urgent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppppaul
I had the same problem with my riv at 96k. It took me $1000 to find out that it needed a steering column wire harness. There are about 6 different contacts at the ignition switch (one of which turns on the actual coil system to fire the sparkplugs) and the contact had built up ark deposits that would not allow current to flow thru it. All the other 5 contacts were fine, but the one that turns on the spark was not. So the engine would crank, fire the injectors but would not start. I put a new GM harness(which has the switch right on it) for the tune of $150. It would be possible to clean the contact off and probably go another 96k, but I just put a new one on it.
Hello,
Thank you for the information. I am having the same problem as
John Cook. Have done practically all of the same things he has done. I am going to try this. In fact, this problem did not start until a mechanic repaired my car when it did would not shift out of reverse. I have been having this problem for two years. I cannot not see this as being the fuel pump as the car starts the first time and then after I get to whereever I am going, it will not start up and I have to keep trying until it starts. Your solution seems to be the best I have heard, especially since the problem begin after the repair of the reverse shift problem two years ago.
Calabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Calabs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook1
Thanks everyone for reading my note; I appreciate it greatly.
We have a 1995 Riviera that has gotten very frustrating over the last few months - at times, it would just fail to start; then after waiting 10-to-15 minutes or so <and trying it several more times in the interim>, it would finally start, and after that run fine. Other times it would simply start normally and run smoothly for whatever trip we happenned to be on. However lately it has gotten very unpredictable ~ the "failing to start" has been occurring more and more, to the point now where it's not reliable to drive.
We've had it to several mechanics; one put in a new fuel pump <when that broke down>, and through verious checks of the ignition systerm, these mechanics could not pinpoint the starting problem, other to say that it probably had something to do with the inner workings of the computer / ignition system connection, hence we took it to a Buick dealer. They put in a PVC box <sp. ?>, yet almost immediately after getting the car back, the same problem was still there, basically unsolved. We managed to get it back to the dealer again; one mechanic suggested putting in a crank sensor, but another technician vetoed that idea, and from what he was hearing, to go instead with a new starter ~ which would make sense if not for the fact that a short time ago one of the other mechanics we had the car to <not the Buick dealer> said the starter was fine!!! So we're very reluctant to go down that road since <1>, the Buick mechanic said he could give no certainty that replacing the starter would solve the problem <2> another mechanic already said the starter is ok, and <3> it's expensive!!!
Any thoughts opinions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

John Cook
Hello John Cook,
Did you try the solution regarding the GM Harness for your problem? If so, did it correct the problem.
Please send answer right away.
Thanks
Calabs
Calabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Dennis Albert
AF Newbie

Calabs and John Cook:
I am having the same problem as Calab and John Cook however I just had the transmission replaced due to not being able to get into reverse (the exact same as one other contributors to this thread). After changing the trans My 1995 Buick Riviera is having a hard time starting (it was starting just fine before the Trans was changed). It acts like it is not getting a spark, just cranks and cranks. Takes about ten times then starts but feels a little like it is flooded but smooths out once it is reeved up. I was to find out if changing the wire harness is the answer as it was not clear that it worked our not. Any help regarding this hard starting issue would be helpful.
Dennis Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 AM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

The crank position sensor would be a good item to check. The interruptor flags on the inboard side of the harmonic damper are also suspect. If someone attempted to turn the engine via the damper, the CKP and/or interruptor rings could have been damaged.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Any codes?

Check for spark with a spark tester?

Spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if it starts.....

Try disconnecting the MAF, and see if it starts.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

My 86 Riv had a problem with a crank or cam sensor (can't remember) that left it dead on the Interstate. When my 97 Riv wouldn't start in 2001, the dealer replaced the multifunction switch (turn signal lever) and the fuel pump or sending unit on fuel pump (was also getting erroneous fuel gauge readings). I had induction service done two or three times which kept it idling smooth. Then had another fuel pump installed in 2013. Also replaced plugs and wires in 2013 (home garage) and it's still running perfectly today with 147,000+ miles. Edit: Can't say I ever had a `no start´ condition while cranking the engine over. -Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 09-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Edwinn, good to see you are still around, but hat post is an old one on top of another old one....

But you are driving one of my favorite cars.......Buick was screwed by Oldsmobile when they weren't allowed to make a 4 door.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Yeah tech II, still here after 11 years, after moving from Mass in 2007. The avatar photo is from Mass in the winter. I don't tinker in the garage much anymore due to a heart condition and only drive the Riv 1,000 mi/year now. Just did the 37th oil change a couple months ago, and have owned the 97 for over 20-1/2 years. It runs great, looks great, and no doubt turns some heads. The engine idles smooth and quiet as a mouse with gator serpentine belt. Have taken it out to California and back twice in this decade, 7 tanks of fuel each way (7 x 15 x 28). Still drives like it's on rails.
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera