Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

PCV kit - easy question

1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 141,374 miles

Late last year the Delco guy gave me a PCV kit as a credit for some parts that were defective. Below is a photo of the kit. Pointed out there is a locking tab or 'tooth' in the slot.

The PCV valve on the Riv is at the end of the Plenum near the Serpentine Belt. The SM shows the PCV located behind the engine and near the firewall. THAT is confusing. Is one for the supercharged engine? My SM is 1999 G-Platform, and this is a 97 model.

See below the setup is different, and the retainer 'locking tooth' is pointed out.

The PROBLEM is.. the retainer is on TIGHT, and I can't seem to rotate it loose with any reasonable amount of torque. The whole stem is flexing and the fear is it will snap!

How do you guys get that bad boy apart w/o damage?

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 04-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: PCV kit - easy question

Easy.......just open a pair of channel locks and grab the base of the retainer, and rotate CCW......when you pull the PCV valve out, the black o-ring usually stays stuck down in the plenum..just pull it out......apply petroleum jelly to the black o-ring, insert it on the valve, and put the valve in the plenum...apply jelly to the orange ring, insert on retainer, along with the spring, push downward and rotate CW....easy, peasy, lemon squeazy....

On the SC'er engine, there is a plate above the PCV valve, I think.....naturally not in the same position as the aspirated engine...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
edwinn (04-19-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera