Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
tannerr52
AF Newbie

Question Trying to track down a dang seat belt!

So my female end of my seat belt has quit working. (It is for a 1990 bonneville) Im pretty sure the spring is broken inside of it. I have searched high and low to try to find a replacement. I have went to a couple scrap yards, tried a few parts stores, and even tried a gm dealer, for the nice price of $82. I have even searched high and low on the internet to try to find one, with no luck! This is where you come in....where can i find said seatbelt? Or maybe fix it? Could the GM dealer fix it? I don't really want to mess with it, seems like a pain. Heres a picture, with numbers and info, as well.

Thanks, Tanner

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- 5.2L V8 - 140k TOTALED You were an ok Jeep...

Current ride:
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- 4.0L L6 - 110k
tannerr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trying to track down a dang seat belt!

To repair this, you could get a used buckle only, these should be plentiful at a junk yard. Or you could use the buckle off of your center front or rear seatbelt since this belt rarely gets used.
Then take the new (used) buckle and your old seat belt assembly to a upholstery shop and see if they can remove the old one and sew the new one in place.
It's just a matter of cutting the thread to remove the old buckle an sewing the new one in place. Some shops might tell you they can not do it because of liability issues due to it being a safety device but other shops might not care.
Should be a fairly inexpensive repair.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trying to track down a dang seat belt!

jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
tannerr52
AF Newbie

Post Re: Trying to track down a dang seat belt!

I actually have looked on car part. however I don't trust arranging for shipping and then paying for a part from a scrapyard that might not be the right part. but I am taking one of the buckles from the back and get it sewn to the front. minus one back seat belt but nobody ever sits in the middle anyway. Luckily the only upholstery shop (actually boot repair) in town actually will do it for me.
Thanks, Tanner.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- 5.2L V8 - 140k TOTALED You were an ok Jeep...

Current ride:
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- 4.0L L6 - 110k
tannerr52 is offline   Reply With Quote