Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: 1997 GP Thermostat

Back surgeries? That's gotta be tough; I totally understand what you say, I have problems with my knee from my old football player days and it hurts most of humid/cold days. I still wouldn't change that .

I like the northern Minnesota thing, I look forward to spend some time over there.

About the car, I believe I found a problem, the ECT sensor might be bad; I still have to take resistance measurements but I will surely end up replacing it since the "mechanic" (note the quotes) who fixed a cracked head had problems removing it and he actually broke the plastic tab on the sensor itself that holds the connector in place, also the plastic shielding on the wiring side has hardened and can now be easily cracked I'll clean the wires and replace that or at least wrap it with some good tape.

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
doctorhrdware
AF Enthusiast

What I would is use a good high grade of silicone rubber. Like 3M or GE, these are one of the best. I would advise against using tape, especially in the engine compartment. The glue that holds the tape, after a while looses it's strength and will start coming off. Sometimes I use heat shrink tubing. Then I would inject the silicone into the tube. This way you will have the best seal, and do not have to worry having any the connections failing.
doctorhrdware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #18
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhrdware View Post
What I would is use a good high grade of silicone rubber. Like 3M or GE, these are one of the best. I would advise against using tape, especially in the engine compartment. The glue that holds the tape, after a while looses it's strength and will start coming off. Sometimes I use heat shrink tubing. Then I would inject the silicone into the tube. This way you will have the best seal, and do not have to worry having any the connections failing.
Thanks buddy I'l try that, I know the tape will come off, actually the guy who broke it wrapped the wires with electrical tape. That's why I meant to say "good tape" (thinking that there might be some high temp capable tape). However your suggestion sounds better, I have lots of heat shrink tubing from my college days, I only have to get the silicone rubber. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote