Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Erik23512
AF Newbie

1990 Grand prix le problem

3.1L. To anyone that can help, I have a problem with my grand prix. It starts fine and runs fine. I drive it for a bit and then park it. After a couple hours I try driving it again and I start it, and it starts fine, but if I hit the gas at all it boggs down and stalls out. I've been told it could be the TPS but I've unhooked that and it does the same thing. The engine light is on. It also likes to stall out when just idling during normal driving (When it's operating correctly) Any opinions and help would be greatly appreciated. Any questions, ask.
Erik23512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: 1990 Grand prix le problem

I would start by finding out what code is stored that turned your CEL on. It may just be from when you had the TPS unplugged, but it may be what is actually causing your stalling condition. The most common causes of your symptoms include low fuel pressure, a bad crank position sensor (CKPS), and/or a bad ignition module (ICM). Other causes can include a bad ECM (computer), chaffed/corroded wiring to/from the CKPS/ICM/ECM due to the age of the car, as well as a myriad of other things. Pulling the codes should be your first step.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote