Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Jinisu2
AF Newbie

Unhappy 96 Buick Lesabre Squealing Noise. Please help! I don't know what else to do!

I have a high mileage 1996 Buick Lesabre Custom. It started to shimmy very badly. I had the belt tensioner replaced. That solved the shimmy, but it started to squeal. Now the the squeal is VERY LOUD. I have replaced the alternator. What else could possibly be making this noise? The engine doesn't get hot, and the power steering is fine. There is a slight drag when I hit the gas to take off at a red light but evens out after 2nd gear. PLEASE help me! I already spent sooo much and haven't got an answer yet!
Jinisu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Re: 96 Buick Lesabre Squealing Noise. Please help! I don't know what else to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinisu2 View Post
I have a high mileage 1996 Buick Lesabre Custom. It started to shimmy very badly. I had the belt tensioner replaced. That solved the shimmy, but it started to squeal. Now the the squeal is VERY LOUD. I have replaced the alternator. What else could possibly be making this noise? The engine doesn't get hot, and the power steering is fine. There is a slight drag when I hit the gas to take off at a red light but evens out after 2nd gear. PLEASE help me! I already spent sooo much and haven't got an answer yet!
Does the squealing occur when the motor is running and the car is NOT moving?
Or does it start as soon as the car starts rolling?

I am not sure where you are saying the squeal is coming from. When they had the belt off to replace the tensioner, did someone check the other pulleys for noise, resistance, wiggle, movement in any direction? My first thought would have been the water pump.

But you talk about a shimmy. Do you mean the car feels like it wobbles rapidly as the wheels are rotating as the car moves? If so, did they check the wheel bearings on the front and rear wheels? Is the brake dragging on one of the front calipers?
imidazol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Jinisu2
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Buick Lesabre Squealing Noise. Please help! I don't know what else to do!

I have new brakes and calipers on the front. I also replaced the brake lines.
The shimmy was from the belt tensioner being bad. I had it replaced by a certified mechanic. He told me the squealing was from the alternator and my dad and I (he's a retired mechanic) replaced it. It stopped squealing for about 20 miles and then it started up again. It stops when I come to a stop and quiets down considerably when I let up off the gas.
We checked the pullies and none of them squeak on their own.
I thought of the water pump too, but it isn't running hot or using excess antifreeze.
I also thought it was maybe the power steering but the reservoir is full and I have no issues with steering.
If you are facing the car looking at the engine the noise is coming from the left in the general area of the water pump/belt tensioner.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
polarzak
AF Regular

Take a piece of garden hose and put on end to your ear. Have someone get the engine running to where the squeal is heard. Carefully play the other end of the garden hose against the various components (not the moving part) and you should be able to hear which one is causing the noise.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
big white bufflo
AF Regular

have you tryed replaceing the belt it could be slipping
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Jinisu2
AF Newbie

Thank you! It turned out it needed a new belt all together
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Jinisu2
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Take a piece of garden hose and put on end to your ear. Have someone get the engine running to where the squeal is heard. Carefully play the other end of the garden hose against the various components (not the moving part) and you should be able to hear which one is causing the noise.
That's a neat trick to know! Thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
buick , help! , lesabre , squeal , tensionor
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre