Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Joshontech
AF Newbie

Spark plug gap question

I just put sparkplugs in my lumina ls 3100 engine. I know the recomended gap is .060 but I was wondering if putting it at .055 or .050 would hurt? I have the NGK G-Power platinum tip copper core plugs in it now. I know I did some research on the topic and say one thing that said gapping your plugs smaller may improve response time and smooth out your idle. I know it's easier on the ignition system to gap them smaller but I didn't know if it would do any damage to the engine. Thanks for your help on this guy's.
Joshontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spark plug gap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshontech View Post
I just put sparkplugs in my lumina ls 3100 engine. I know the recomended gap is .060 but I was wondering if putting it at .055 or .050 would hurt? I have the NGK G-Power platinum tip copper core plugs in it now. I know I did some research on the topic and say one thing that said gapping your plugs smaller may improve response time and smooth out your idle. I know it's easier on the ignition system to gap them smaller but I didn't know if it would do any damage to the engine. Thanks for your help on this guy's.
I can't see why it would damage the engine to reduce the spark plug gap. But I would only put the AC Delco plug that is recommended by GM in there. And I would also gap them the way GM recommends.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

Fatter spark is more efficient, leave the .060 gap.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Joshontech
AF Newbie

I did replace the original spark plugs with acdelco platinum plugs advanced auto said they were the oem plugs that came installed in the engine. After about 30k miles I noticed the engine running rough and starting hard so I thought it was time to check the spark plugs. When I took the easy side 3 spark plugs out they were extremely yellowed and had rust colored deposits on the ground. I looked online and found out that the plugs where overheating henchmen the yellowing and rust colored deposits. I went to get the same plugs and they do not make them anymore not the exact same ones and also the acdelco all have high heat ranges so I figured that's why they overheated. My dad always uses the NGK plugs and they last forever and the g-power ones have a heat range a lot lower than the acdelco so I thought I would try them. And thanks for letting me know about the spark gap I just wanted to know if what they said on the one website was true.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

FWIW, original equipment plugs for ACDelco have been manufactured by Denso and NGK for years. Some original plugs pulled from engines have been stamped "AC-Delco by NGK" and "Denso" very clearly. Back in the '80s-'90s I worked at a Textron division which headed blank shells for AC-Delco by the millions, among many other OEM parts (valve retainers, crank and rod cap bolts, rocker studs, all sorts of ball joints, starter gears, etc.), and I know that wasn't an isolated incident. GM outsources a lot of the parts used in their products.

What is most important is using a plug with the proper heat range and reach.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Joshontech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
FWIW, original equipment plugs for ACDelco have been manufactured by Denso and NGK for years. Some original plugs pulled from engines have been stamped "AC-Delco by NGK" and "Denso" very clearly. Back in the '80s-'90s I worked at a Textron division which headed blank shells for AC-Delco by the millions, among many other OEM parts (valve retainers, crank and rod cap bolts, rocker studs, all sorts of ball joints, starter gears, etc.), and I know that wasn't an isolated incident. GM outsources a lot of the parts used in their products.

What is most important is using a plug with the proper heat range and reach.
Wow that's crazy and I believe it too. What would be the proper heat range for my gm 3100 engine?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

First Guess: The deposits you saw were from the gasoline used, not from "overheating".

Second Guess: A straight interchange from AC to NGK won't hurt a thing. Going colder may--or may not--promote fouling.

Third Guess: .060 gap is just fine, but I'd consider smaller. Excess gap promotes misfire if the insulation on the secondary circuit has flaws. I'm pretty sure my 3.4L DOHC uses a .045 or .040 gap.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Joshontech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
First Guess: The deposits you saw were from the gasoline used, not from "overheating".

Second Guess: A straight interchange from AC to NGK won't hurt a thing. Going colder may--or may not--promote fouling.

Third Guess: .060 gap is just fine, but I'd consider smaller. Excess gap promotes misfire if the insulation on the secondary circuit has flaws. I'm pretty sure my 3.4L DOHC uses a .045 or .040 gap.
That's what I thought as well because I have used injector cleaner and such but when researching online I found many instances where over heated plugs looked just like the ones I took out of my car.

I really don't understand why the manufacturer puts the recomended gap size so far apart on my car but I know that supercharged medals of my car and yes I have seen some crazy people supercharg the gm 3100 Gen 2 and they all said they use .045 gap.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ignition , lumina , sparkplugs , system
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina