Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #76
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper

Stu Hayner and the GMAC Pontiac GTO.
Tommy Archer and Bob Woodhouse in Viper Competition Coupes.
Leighton Reese in a C6 Corvette.
Andy Pilgrim, Max Angelelli, and Mad Max Papis in Cadillac CTS-V's.
Phil McClure and David Farmer in Z06 Vettes.
Derek Bell and the factory Volvo S60-R.
The S60R wont be a problem and the GTo doesnt impress me a holden with a tid bit more power.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #77
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvngstorm05
anyone know if there is going to be a c6 vette competing?
Lou Giglotti is running a few C6s and some teams are running ZO6s. Here's the season entry list:

http://www.world-challenge.com/2005/entrylist-gt.html

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #78
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
The S60R wont be a problem and the GTo doesnt impress me a holden with a tid bit more power.
Does Tommy Archer in the Viper impress you? McClure or the McCann brothers? How' bout Leighton Reese or Lou Giglotti in Corvettes? Robin Liddell or Wolf Henzler in the Porches? Max Papis or Andy Pilgrim in Cadillacs? Pobst and Galati taking a break from GT open up a couple of spots in the top 15, but we can assume that Cadillac will again bring in drivers like Fellows, Heinricy and O'Connell throughout the season.

Quote:
The GTR is a great car and is very very deadly in the rain (with attesa on) and would knock half of the comp off immediatly.
The Skyline VTS is a blank mystery and I haven't heard a whisper about who might be driving it next season. However, you weren't saying that the GTR could run mid-pack. You claimed top 10 and I'm still wondering what specific evidence you are basing that on.

Quote:
Based on normal Scca cars like audi's etc.
Audi isn't racing this season and, again, we still don't have a clue how World Challenge cars are going to perform in 2005 (let alone 2006), but are you really saying that you are certain the Skyline can pull off 2:16s at Road America in World Challenge trim? You couldn't possibly be claiming that they can do 2:14s like the Audis did last year. Could you?

C.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #79
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The Pontiac GTO doesn't impress you because "It's a Holden with a little bit more power."? Well, the Skyline GTR is a Nissan Skyline coupe with two turbos and AWD. Guess it's not too much of a car either.

But, let's actually consider the #5 Autosport Development GMAC Pontiac GTO. It's campaigned by Stu Hayner - multi-winner in Trans Am and considered one of the top privateer road racers in America. The team is Hayner's personal team that campaigned his Trans-Am cars and is merged with Chili Pepper Racing for '05 (the BMW team that top Touring contenders Jim Osborn and Ken Dobson). Jim Osborn will be driving a second GTO for the team.

This is a powerful team, and they only scored three 15th's (Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and Laguna Seca), a 13th (Road America), and an 11th (Portland).

The S60R you said "won't be a problem" is a factory car driven by DEREK FREAKIN BELL. You know, 6 time Le Mans winner, 3 time Daytona 24 hour winner, 1983 AND 1985 World Endurance Champion Derek Bell. There are only two sports car/touring car aces you could put in that GTR that would hold a candle to Bell (who aren't already under someone's contract) and they're Boris Said and Hans Stuck.

Jeez, I want the AF GTR to succeed as much as the next guy, but as Hollfelder up there will tell you (Tiger Racing campaigns two Ford Mustangs in Speed World Challenge GT, they know exactly how tough the competition is) it's an uphill battle without factory support or backing and without the SCCA's blessing.

And, speaking as someone who's been around the SCCA since early childhood, it's hard to get the SCCA's blessing on anything Japanese, turbocharged, or all-wheel drive. The only Japanese cars SCCA fans like are BRE Datsuns (JMA baby!), the SCCA folks have hated turbos in the 917/30, and AWD since Audi walked over Trans-Am and IMSA GTO in the 80's.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #80
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

Quote:
And, speaking as someone who's been around the SCCA since early childhood, it's hard to get the SCCA's blessing on anything Japanese, turbocharged, or all-wheel drive. The only Japanese cars SCCA fans like are BRE Datsuns (JMA baby!), the SCCA folks have hated turbos in the 917/30, and AWD since Audi walked over Trans-Am and IMSA GTO in the 80's.
Screw technology, lets make sure all cars run the same chassis, engine, gears, suspension, body, etc...That will make a forms of racing fun.....Not

If they can't beat them, ban them. Godzilla.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #81
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn

Here are some decent goals i think.

AF guys go out there and promote the car pick up some good sponsers and make a decent showing. Top 20-15.

Some guys may look at the car and go hey that has potential and pick up a driver that has a name for himslef like boris said or possibly somebody that has expiernce with these cars a Japanese driver?

Then from there just take it little by little. Maybe cathing the eye of Nissian/Ifinite pick up a factory back ride in 2007/2008 when the new gtr hits. Think bout it b4 u blast me just saying hypothetically. They go out and make a good show for the next year or 2 on a car that is over 4years old now. Nissian/Ifinite knows the GTR has a name in america but not many have seen it in racing action wouldn't it be a nice way to promote the new car. In a competative series that gets plenty of air coverage.

Ne how Good luck and lets go kick some A**
Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #82
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
Screw technology, lets make sure all cars run the same chassis, engine, gears, suspension, body, etc...
You mean like CART Champ Cars?

The SCCA is allowing forced induction into Touring this year for the first year because three manufacturers have stepped forwards with contingency or proposed factory efforts (Mini Cooper S, Subaru WRX, SRT-4). The only reason the SCCA said yes was because they've discovered a way to monitor and seal the boost levels on each car in a failproof way.

The SCCA has never hid its distaste for anything that wasn't a small British roadster (after all, the organization was founded by primarily MG TC owners). They also pride themselves on the close competition of the Speed World Challenge. Between the VTS, the mid-season spec adjustments, the spec rear wing and tires, and the penalty weight, they've created a series where any well prepared, well driven car can win. They won't allow anyone to tromp in and dominate without paying their dues, especially not (and I'm not accusing Igor of this since he hasn't shown this attitude) a bunch of cocky wiseass tuners who think that a 4wd sport tuned luxury coupe from Japan is the hottest shit this side of a Mexican restaraunt.

You want the GTR to win. Good, great place to start. But don't think for a second it's going to be easy. Japan MAKES it easy for the Skyline GTR to win (the car hasn't had an honest win in honest competition since 1973) and now that a good team is taking the car outside Japan to take on the WORLD'S BEST SPORTS CARS it's put up or shut up time.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #83
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn

What are they using to monitor/seal boost going with a restrictor thing kinda like the FIA with WRC?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #84
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/news/04press93.html

That's the Speed World Challenge press release regarding forced induction in Touring. I'd believe the same system is used in GT.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #85
AF Newbie

I'm sorry, but Derek Bell is no longer one of the top road-racing drivers in the world. He was at one time, but no longer is. You can see it by the sliding quality of his rides and his performance. However, people should take the point that unless they hire a pro to race their car probably won't go beyond the first turn let alone be competitive.

Anyway, since it costs about 300-500k minimum to run a full season of GT I think placing in the top 20 is the least of their worries.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #86
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
Does Tommy Archer in the Viper impress you? McClure or the McCann brothers? How' bout Leighton Reese or Lou Giglotti in Corvettes? Robin Liddell or Wolf Henzler in the Porches? Max Papis or Andy Pilgrim in Cadillacs? Pobst and Galati taking a break from GT open up a couple of spots in the top 15, but we can assume that Cadillac will again bring in drivers like Fellows, Heinricy and O'Connell throughout the season.

The Skyline VTS is a blank mystery and I haven't heard a whisper about who might be driving it next season. However, you weren't saying that the GTR could run mid-pack. You claimed top 10 and I'm still wondering what specific evidence you are basing that on.
Ha the vipers and the vettes lol everytime I flip on speed I always see one of em getting into an accident or overshooting a turn. lol The vipers are the only comp besides the bmw's.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #87
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Re: Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

Quote:
Ha the vipers and the vettes lol everytime I flip on speed I always see one of em getting into an accident or overshooting a turn. lol The vipers are the only comp besides the bmw's.

Okay, here's the GT races from last year with their winners and the cars.

Sebring - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Lime Rock - Randy Pobst/Audi RS6
Mid Ohio - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Sears Point - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup
Portland - Tommy Archer/Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
Mosport Race 1 - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Mosport Race 2 - Ron Fellows/Cadillac CTS-V
Road America - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Road Atlanta - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Laguna Seca - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup

GT Series champion 2004 - Tommy Archer/Viper Competition Coupe
GT Series Manufacturer's Champion - Audi

Final points standings

1 Tommy Archer, Dodge Viper
2 Michael Galati, Audi RS 6
3 Max Angelelli, Cadillac CTS-V
4 Randy Pobst, Audi RS 6
5 Andy Pilgrim, Cadillac CTS-V
6 Phil McClure, Corvette Z06
7 Mike McCann(R), Dodge Viper
8 Leighton Reese, Corvette Z06
9 Tim Wiens, Dodge Viper
10 Lou Gigliotti, Corvette Z06

There isn't a BMW in the points until Jeff McMillin in the 27th spot. Save for the Autosport GTO and John Young's Saleen SR, everything from 1 to 26 in the points is either an Audi, a Porsche, a Viper, a Vette, or a Caddy.

Now, tell me again. Who's the threat?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #88
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challe

Quote:
Um... when was the last time you actually watched a World Challenge race? As has been posted, Tommy Archer won the Championship in 2004 in a Viper. I believe he finished every race. As for any of the other cars having off track excursions and incidents, well considering the fact that Vettes and Vipers made up half the field at every race, it would be quite a mystery if you didn't see at least one or two of them misplace a wheel at each event.

And when did you see any competitive BMWs run last year? While you were watching the non-existent Bimmers racing around, did you happen to catch a glimpse of any of those guys that I mentioned driving Porches and Caddies? I notice that you didn't comment on them in your dismissive post. You also didn't have much to say about how you can be so certain of a car's performance when it doesn't even have a VTS to compare against any of the known quantities of recent years.

I do applaud your loyalty though.

C.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 AM   #89
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

Quote:

Okay, here's the GT races from last year with their winners and the cars.

Sebring - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Lime Rock - Randy Pobst/Audi RS6
Mid Ohio - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Sears Point - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup
Portland - Tommy Archer/Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
Mosport Race 1 - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Mosport Race 2 - Ron Fellows/Cadillac CTS-V
Road America - Michael Galati/Audi RS6
Road Atlanta - Max Angelelli/Cadillac CTS-V
Laguna Seca - Wolf Henzler/Porsche 911GT3 Cup

GT Series champion 2004 - Tommy Archer/Viper Competition Coupe
GT Series Manufacturer's Champion - Audi

Final points standings

1 Tommy Archer, Dodge Viper
2 Michael Galati, Audi RS 6
3 Max Angelelli, Cadillac CTS-V
4 Randy Pobst, Audi RS 6
5 Andy Pilgrim, Cadillac CTS-V
6 Phil McClure, Corvette Z06
7 Mike McCann(R), Dodge Viper
8 Leighton Reese, Corvette Z06
9 Tim Wiens, Dodge Viper
10 Lou Gigliotti, Corvette Z06

There isn't a BMW in the points until Jeff McMillin in the 27th spot. Save for the Autosport GTO and John Young's Saleen SR, everything from 1 to 26 in the points is either an Audi, a Porsche, a Viper, a Vette, or a Caddy.

Now, tell me again. Who's the threat?

lol, jcsaleen is fairly clueless...I've seen him post on another board. No response is necessary. jcsaleen isn't even a bimmer fan so his comments are a mystery.

The PTG M3s have been dominant in Grand Am, but with all the big bore cars in Speed GT, which is more like GTS, the car isn't suited for the class, especially without factory support. The glory days of the M3 GTR are behind us. It's funny that they banned the M3 GTR, but then they let Caddy produce a CTS racecar with almost zero resemblance at all to the stock car. Actually, it's not, SCCA will always bend the rules for whomever is bribing them the most. The 3-series has been dominant in TC too. So, while GT has been dry for them for a couple years they're still having great success.

Someone said something about Derek Bell regaining his competitiveness in the Volvo. lol, lets get a grip, he's not getting any younger and Volvos have been notoriously weak platforms even with factory support.

Laylas Keeper-your solution is nice for anyone who doesn't get physically nauseous from watching oval let alone open-wheel winged oval. Hopefully both series will ultimately survive and prosper.

Last edited by #98; 03-16-2005 at 03:22 AM.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #90
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

Tiger Racing,

You guys are running this?
Tiger Racing

The Ford Mustang by Tiger Racing is geared towards people who may have disabilities, but certainly have no limitations. With features based on the hot-rod theme of ‘60s-style muscle cars, this all-new Mustang combines a retro appearance with modern day technologies.

Base Vehicle
2005 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Deluxe

Engine
4.6-liter 3-valve V-8
Powertrain
5-speed automatic transmission
Vortech V2S supercharger
Bassani Xhaust
Baumann Electronic Controls Baumannator transmission control system
Tractech differential

Chassis
Stoptech brakes
HPM chassis and suspension upgrade
Koni coil over shocks
Eibach springs

Wheels & Tires
MOMO wheels
Toyo Performance tires

Exterior
Classic Design Concepts Glassback roof
Classic Design Concepts front chin spoiler
Classic Design Concepts hood scoop and quarter scoops
BASF Paint applied by Auto Kraft

Interior
Ford Intelligent Vehicle Technologies cameras, custom gauge cluster and viewing screen
Nartron Invisible Shield window safety package
Cobra seats by Sube Sport with Katzkin covers
Schroth harnesses provided by HMS Motorsport
Brake/throttle hand controls by Mobility Products & Design

Created By
Tiger Racing
Covina, CA
www.Tiger-Racing.com

Very nice, I am in the process of getting a 2005, good luck to you guys.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News