Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
steven00417
AF Newbie

2002 express 3500 no crank/start

I have a 2002 express 3500. Has 185000 miles. Has been giving some trouble starting, was like an hour from home and turned the key and nothing. So I jumped the starter( had done this before and it worked) and got nothing.
Now I have no power to my dash.
I have replaced the starter, the battery, ignition switch and relay. Using my old ignition switch I can jump the red wire (power all the time) and yellow (starter wire) and get the engine to turn over.
Using the same red wire I can cross the red/white wire (run/start) and get the dash to light up and again the engine will turn over but not stay running.
I have traced all the wires I can without taking the entire van apart and nothing seems to be intact. All fuses are good (replaced some but none were bad) .
I have no change in any gear so I have eliminated the park neutral switch.
I also have no power at my ignition fuse (under hood labeled 10A IGN-E). I think my problem has something to do with that fuse and/or the red/white wire.
I am working on getting an OBI to test my ECM and see if that tells me anything but I am at a loss as what to do next.
steven00417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2002 express 3500 no crank/start

Welcome to AF, security lite on? Truck ever under water? Seem to remember that the engagement and gear position of the ignition switch and key cylinder is critical.

Last edited by maxwedge; 09-26-2017 at 03:52 PM.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 express 3500 no crank/start

Try disconnecting the battery negative. Unbolt the electrical center look at the bottom. They use salt on the roads in Ohio you need power to the ignition switch. As Max suggested most of the GM's I've worked on had a rod from the ignition switch to the key cylinder. I've seen bent rods and the switch not mounted properly. You may need a tamper proof set of torx bits to adjust it.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van