Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
ASJT3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASJT3
Remove LT1 crank pulley

I've never removed the crank pulley on an LT1 before, from the pictures I've seen online it's somewhat unique. Am I correct in understanding that one simply needs to remove the 3 5/8" bolts from the pulley, then tap it off with a hammer? The hub (triangular looking device) is left behind on the crank?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Remove LT1 crank pulley

That is correct. However, note the position of the arrow cast into the hub and mark the pulley adjacent to that so it can be installed in the same orientation to maintain balance.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
ASJT3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASJT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
That is correct. However, note the position of the arrow cast into the hub and mark the pulley adjacent to that so it can be installed in the same orientation to maintain balance.
Thanks for the advice. I ended up having to use a brake drum puller to remove the dang thing it was so frozen on. Cleaned up the mating surfaces with a file and used some motor oil to aid in re-installation.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJT3 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I ended up having to use a brake drum puller to remove the dang thing it was so frozen on. Cleaned up the mating surfaces with a file and used some motor oil to aid in re-installation.
I missed your post question. the removal I use a electric torque gun with the belt on to remove the studs . I rotate the crank pulley so that the pointer is up. this is so the engine is at TDC or 180deg out.when doing the opti.

I also used a file the first time I removed this and put antisieze on the back side and on the hub assy. did this a few times , first time is the tough one.

I would not use a brake drum puller .. you should pull on the inner portion because the outer portion is with a rubber bonding .. pull on that . it will damage it and others have had this happen .. make sure the belt rides properly on pulley..
I used a typical steering wheel puller used penetrating oil and wire brush to clean up the hub area first.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice