Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
LadyPamela
AF Newbie

2002 Chevy Tracker problems

i have a 2002 Chevy Tracker v6 that has been causing me issues for the past 30days. it has a NEW battery, NEW alternator (2nd one in fact since 1st one was bad), and NEW belts. the battery is still NOT holding a charge. one day the car starts fine and the next it needs either a jump start or a put on a charger overnight. after replacing the battery and alternator a new issue has reared. if you drive over 50MPH the car starts to make a thumping sound and then the motor dies requiring a tow. nothing is broken/loose/missing so the source of the sound cannot be located. i'm at my wits and $$ end. no one here can figure out the issue with this car. i'd be happy to take any suggestions.
LadyPamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Chevy Tracker problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPamela View Post
i have a 2002 Chevy Tracker v6 that has been causing me issues for the past 30days. it has a NEW battery, NEW alternator (2nd one in fact since 1st one was bad), and NEW belts. the battery is still NOT holding a charge. one day the car starts fine and the next it needs either a jump start or a put on a charger overnight. after replacing the battery and alternator a new issue has reared. if you drive over 50MPH the car starts to make a thumping sound and then the motor dies requiring a tow. nothing is broken/loose/missing so the source of the sound cannot be located. i'm at my wits and $$ end. no one here can figure out the issue with this car. i'd be happy to take any suggestions.
Sounds to me like you have a current draw that is killing the battery. Look for the obvious, like a glove box lamp staying on, radio, other lamps. Anyhing plugged into a power outlet. If all those check ok, then further diagnosis will be needed to find the draw. A multi-meter can be set in series between the negative battery cable and negative batter terminal to see the amount of current being drawn. On yours, I would expect to see less than
20mA, probably closer to 0. As far as the noise, hard to tell from here, is there oil in the engine?
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
LadyPamela
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Chevy Tracker problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
Sounds to me like you have a current draw that is killing the battery. Look for the obvious, like a glove box lamp staying on, radio, other lamps. Anyhing plugged into a power outlet. If all those check ok, then further diagnosis will be needed to find the draw. A multi-meter can be set in series between the negative battery cable and negative batter terminal to see the amount of current being drawn. On yours, I would expect to see less than
20mA, probably closer to 0. As far as the noise, hard to tell from here, is there oil in the engine?
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll get that checked. I don't see anything staying on or plugged in but I'll have it checked. As for oil, yes it was just recently changed (April or May) and the dipstick reads full.
LadyPamela is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Tracker