Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
scott bush
AF Newbie

Question Shocks

I have a71 convertible. It has air shocks on the back. One leaks down and I want to get rid of them. what is a good shock for this? It's not high performance, just a cruiser but don't what to get. what shocks keep the stance like the air shocks or is that the springs?
scott bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Re: Shocks

Hey Scott, I just saw your post, and it looks like nobody answered your question.
Did you end up replacing your air shocks? If so, what shocks did you put on instead?
Thanks.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott bush View Post
I have a71 convertible. It has air shocks on the back. One leaks down and I want to get rid of them. what is a good shock for this? It's not high performance, just a cruiser but don't what to get. what shocks keep the stance like the air shocks or is that the springs?
Shocks won't help with the ride height. A couple new springs will correct this problem. Check the air line to the bad air shock this could be the problem.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
Shocks won't help with the ride height. A couple new springs will correct this problem. Check the air line to the bad air shock this could be the problem.
I agree, although coil-over shocks with springs may provide a slightly higher stance. You can buy universal replacement air line/installation kits for most air shocks, usually they start leaking at one of the fittings. The plastic line gets hard and loses it's ability to seal. You can try removing the fittings one at a time, and using a sharp knife, try cutting a half-inch off the end of each air line, then reinstall the nuts. I would recommend a new line kit, they are cheap, and they usually include a "T" fitting, so you only have one place to add air, and it fills both shocks equally, and balances the pressure between them.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle