Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
cordovaass
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cordovaass
tune port help needed

i have a complete tune port motor that i want to put into my classic. does anyone know who can reprogram my cumputer and wire harness so it bypasses all the smog?

SLAMMED! 4 inches in front 8 inches in rear
Custom pipes with flowmaster 50 series delta flow
K&N intake system
Caddilac door handles
Caddilac gauges
Pioneer cd player
Shaved moldings and emblems
cordovaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: tune port help needed

There is not much smog equipment to bypass. Modern EFI engines have all those sensors and computer controls to run as efficiently as possible. Disconnecting some or all of them will make your engine run poorly, with less power and more fuel consumption, if it runs at all.

Keep the EFI, computer and wiring harness intact during the swap. If the engine is a pre-1995 model, with only one oxygen sensor, you can leave the catalytic converter off.
You could also add a performance chip to the computer, and a cold-air intake, headers, and a better exhaust.
Head work and camshafts would help, but they would need to be intended for your year and model of engine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
cordovaass
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cordovaass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
There is not much smog equipment to bypass. Modern EFI engines have all those sensors and computer controls to run as efficiently as possible. Disconnecting some or all of them will make your engine run poorly, with less power and more fuel consumption, if it runs at all.

Keep the EFI, computer and wiring harness intact during the swap. If the engine is a pre-1995 model, with only one oxygen sensor, you can leave the catalytic converter off.
You could also add a performance chip to the computer, and a cold-air intake, headers, and a better exhaust.
Head work and camshafts would help, but they would need to be intended for your year and model of engine.

well i think your way off. haveing the smog stuff off and the computer retuned will run way better than if i left it stock. who wants to open the hood of a 66 impala and see a smog pump sitting there? not me.

SLAMMED! 4 inches in front 8 inches in rear
Custom pipes with flowmaster 50 series delta flow
K&N intake system
Caddilac door handles
Caddilac gauges
Pioneer cd player
Shaved moldings and emblems
cordovaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordovaass
well i think your way off. haveing the smog stuff off and the computer retuned will run way better than if i left it stock. who wants to open the hood of a 66 impala and see a smog pump sitting there? not me.
Sure, if the engine has an air injection pump, one can leave it off. Although the thread does not mention spefically what kind of tuned port engine this is, "tuned port injection" (TPI )was the name for GM's 305 and 350 ci Chevy V8's used in the camaro/ firebirds, older Vettes, etc from the mid-80's to early '90's and none came with air injection pumps. For that matter, all older, OBD 1 EFI engines do not have air pumps that I have encountered. (Mostly Canadian and 49 state cars, not CA cars)
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
tattoo65
AF Newbie

ok i wont to put a 89 5.7 tune port out of a firebird gta in my 1967 lemans i have the eng ecu and wireing harness but will i have to worry about the v.a.t.s. or what will i run in to??
tattoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars