Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
hondaA92
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1992 Honda Acc. Timing Belt and then some

Here's the whole story, I was driving about 65 mph when my entire car just shut down. No loud bang, just a quiet shut down. I rolled on Neutral to a complete stop and called for a tow. A buddy of mine kept saying he knew 100% it was the distributor so we were jacking with it for a week replacing the ignition module, rotor, to no success. I refunded the ignition module, still have the old one on there.

THEN! I took the head off out of curiosity and found the timing belt had broke. I paid a guy to install a new water pump and timing belt, he says the valves were surprisingly still good and not bent. Started the car up and it cranks but won't fire up! The guy says it could be a bad distributor, that when the belt broke it could have produced too much electricity and burned out.

So, basically, the car has a brand new starter, all the belts and water pump are brand new, car battery is new, spark plugs are new...the only thing that's not yet been replaced is the distributor so i'm thinking it's that? They won't let you refund it once you've plugged it in and I don't have $$ to throw away to test out my theory. My check engine light doesn't come on so that's a good sign right? Again, my car cranks but doesn't fire up...what's the deal? What else can I check?
hondaA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1992 Honda Acc. Timing Belt and then some

I would check all three distributor modules. It will give you the answer whether your distributor is good or bad. Measrue the resistance of the module and compare it to the specifications. I believe you can find it in the Haynes manual.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
BullShifter
AF Moderator

It's hard to say. Does the car have fuel and spark? That's the first place to start. On the older Honda's we have been throwing in junkyard distributors because the new complete ones are too expensive for an old car.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Maybe the timing belt was installed wrong. Pull the timing belt cover off and double check the marks on the cam, and crank. The cam gear has an arrow that should be pointing straight "up" in relation to the block deck. and the crank gear has a tooth on it painted white. That white tooth should be pointed straight "up" also in relation to the block. If those marks are off then your car wont fire correctly.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
belt , distributor , pump , timing , water
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid