Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
lucas_wojo
AF Newbie

95 Aurora slams into reverse & more

I just bought this problem child and I am having som trouble finding out why when you put it into Reverse it slams into gear hard enough that the nose dives down. I cant figure out why. Then RPMS are always low like 800 and it acts like its at 2500. It slamms that hard.

The 2nd issue is when I push the brakes there is a vaccum sound from under the dash and the brake pedal gets hard and the car does not stop well. I assume it is the brake booster but I have not tore the dash appart yet.. The RPMS dont drop out when the vaccum leak starts and thats what confuses me.

Any help would be great. Thanks
lucas_wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 Aurora slams into reverse & more

I was working on a malibu once, trying to top off the transmission fluid. In order to get to the little cap to add it, I took off the intake tube to the engine, and of course, all the little connectors that were attached to it. I then put it in drive and was shocked with how hard it banged into gear. I reattached all those little connectors on the intake, and it shifted smoothly. I would check over all those. You've got the MAF, the temperature sensor, others?
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
lucas_wojo
AF Newbie

I checked all the wires and lines. I did a few searched here in the Aurora forum and seems the reverse issue is common. That saddens me. I guess I will not stick too much money into this one and find another 97-98 like my last one. I am also pretty sure it needs a booster since the vaccum is comming in through the hole in the firewall. Lucky for me there are 3 of then in a local pull ur parts salvae yard.

If anyone has an easier fix than change the tranny or does not require dropping the cradle to correct the reverse issue I would LOVE to hear it. I am an OK mechanic but I have no shop or hoist. Just a small.... too small garage.

Thanks for the tip
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
papasmith
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_wojo View Post
I just bought this problem child and I am having som trouble finding out why when you put it into Reverse it slams into gear hard enough that the nose dives down. I cant figure out why. Then RPMS are always low like 800 and it acts like its at 2500. It slamms that hard.

The 2nd issue is when I push the brakes there is a vaccum sound from under the dash and the brake pedal gets hard and the car does not stop well. I assume it is the brake booster but I have not tore the dash appart yet.. The RPMS dont drop out when the vaccum leak starts and thats what confuses me.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Here's the help you need. First, do a search on this site for Auroras slamming into gear. In addition, glance at the multitude of other problems with this model. After a an hour or so of reading, if you are objective at all, you should come to the deeply disappointing conclusion that you have a poorly designed piece of garbage. With that, you should refrain from putting any more money into the car, slap a "for sale cheap" sign on it and vow to generally avoid GM products. Sincerely, from a former owner.
papasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
lucas_wojo
AF Newbie

If it weren't for the bad pork chops we would never have hot dogs... No that is not the answer to just sell it, its got 198K on it, thats pretty good for a junk car. My last 97 had 161 when I rolled it and almost died. Im pretty sure the solidness of the car saved my life. However after posting looking for quick response I did find alot of my answers. I have replaced several boosters in Chrysler cars and trannys in Dodge trucks so I should avoid them as welll? Not to mention taurus sub frames and windstar suspesions dropping out and spark plug issues in the tritons or air rides in the lincolns... Them too I guess. Every maker has problems, fix it or band aid it and keep going. I would still like to find a quick fix to the trans issue tho. I do have a replacement engine and trans but a 95 to me is not worth it tho I have transplaed northstars into caddys to make winter beaters. Thanks for the tip
Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The other possibility, if the rpms are not high, is a bad engine/tranny mount.....

And I agree with your post....every manufacturer has problems that are sometimes compounded by lack of maintenance by the owner.....especially buying older cars......you don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle, and sometimes inherit problems that could have been fixed easily if done when they happened.....when allowed to continue, they end up causing other problems.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Everycar has their problems. 198k is no junk. It probably wasnt serviced properly to begin with. I got 252k on my 98 Malibu, its not a piece. When was the last fluid change done? I had problems with my tranny shuddering hard core in second gear, changed fluid(adding total of seven quarts including Lucas stop slip), hasent shuddered in 100k.

As far as vaccum sound, yes you have a leak somewhere, there is a booster vac line running from boost to manifold, check that. there has to be a vac leak somewhere. Ive heard of ppl spraying brake cleaner or carb cleaner around connections, if it revs high, thats where the leak is.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
jonnik
AF Regular

Sounds like you have a bad turbine speed sensor in the transmission. This part monitors the speed of the transmission input shaft so the computer can determine the degree of torque convertor lockup needed. If the computer gets no signal, it defaults to total lockup. This is a known problem for early Auroras and some FWD Cadillacs. The part is only about $25, but requires removing the drivetrain to replace. My '06 Aurora had this, but got totaled by a hailstorm before I could have it fixed. Good luck!
jonnik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora