Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Curth
AF Newbie

What is a 65 Tempest worth?

A friend of mine has a 1965 Tempest that will be for sale. It was partially re-created in past years with a Pontiac 400, Muncie wide ratio 4 spd, 12 bolt GM posi 3.73 Richmond. It could use full body restoration. Runs but needs engine overhaul.

What do you think it is worth?
Curth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
oedipussy
AF Newbie

Re: What is a 65 Tempest worth?

Good question. I'm not a GM guy but it sounds like this car has been modified over the years - is that correct? That makes it pretty much impossible to appraise in value. I assume that when you say "Pontiac 400" you're talking about the engine, which according to nada.com wasn't an option that year, so that lowers the value considerably. WIth the original engine and 4 speed transmission, nada lists the low retail value at $4,900, it's hard to say how much the modifications subtract from the value, but it's probably a few thousand dollars less.

When it comes to buying hot rods, it's not so much about moentary value as it is about personal value. How much is the car worth to you? If the thing is a complete junker, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it.
oedipussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
oedipussy
AF Newbie

Oh, and that price quote was assuming that the Tempest is a 2 door coupe...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Ive seen them sell for much more than that....
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
oedipussy
AF Newbie

I'm sure you have seen them sell for much more - after being painstakingly restored. In all honesty it sounds like this particular car doesn't even meet the requirements for a low-retail value car (see below). For all intents and purposes, we're talking about a parts/project car here. It's in need of a total restoration. Thus, the value is much lower.

Low Retail Value- This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorating restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most useable "as-is." Note: This value does not represent a parts car."
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

So your saying a running 65 tempest in "as is" condition is worth less than $1000.00 ?

I disagree. Anybody who sells one for that kind of money or parts one out is a fool, IMHO.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
oedipussy
AF Newbie

Running or not, if it doesn't have the original engine it isn't worth as much. And it's still a project car.

As far as buying project cars goes, im my opinion it's not worth spending more than $1000 for anything (unless you're talking about something rare and extravagant like a Desoto Adventurer or Cadillac El Dorado Brougham). Maybe $1500 at most if it's in exceptionally nice condition and driveable, but since you have to put a ton of work and money into it anything more than that is unreasonable. If the seller wants more money for the car then he can restore it HIMSELF rather than gouging the price on a project to make an easy profit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars