Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
bigjeep
AF Newbie

alcohol carburator to gas

hi there,

i woul like to know if you can switch an alky carb to a gas carb , i think the only thing i would need to do is down jet it since the jets are the only thing that is to big ,

before you say no it will not work , my engine is a small chevy 355 it has dart race heads fulley ported {they flow 305 cfm } i have 14.1 compression and a roller cam the size of the rockys {.725 lift and 320 duration }

somebody let me know im in a hurry for the carb
bigjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
texan
Writer Mod

What gasoline do you plan on running? Also, alcohol fueled motor require about twice the nromal fuel delivery of gas, that's more than just carb jetting. But before you even get into that, it's highly unlikely that 14:1 compression will work with the gasoline you are planning to run.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
bigjeep
AF Newbie

hi there,

i use 114 octane pro stock race fuel if this helps any

please note im just looking for a second opion on this carb if it will or will not work
Old 02-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
PART
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PART
i cant speak from experince but im fairly sure that even race gas @ 114 would still not resist detonation enough to survive 14.1 compression. besides if uve already got the fuel system set up to run alki y switch back, unless u wanna run on the street ? which wouldnt be legal either becuase ur not allowed to run race gas on the street either... i guess im saying that ur question doesnt make a whole lot of sense..
if u need numbers to prove it i can look them up but im too lazy right now.....LATER
PART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
texan
Writer Mod

114 will easily run at 14:1 compression, the relative octane rating of methanol isn't even that high (around 106 if memory serves me).

I looked into it a bit more, and found that almost all cars running alcohol use conversion kits on what used to be gasoline carbs. You are right that the same cfm carb should likely be used, however the fuel bowls, metering block and of course jets are unique to the alcohol setup. The fuel delivery is so much higher that things must be redesigned to work with it, it's not just jetting. Now I see no reason why you can't convert the carb (what carb is it?) back to gasoline duty, but I highly doubt running with alcohol metering blocks and other specifically designed hard parts will work, the engine is likely to run extremely rich. Basically, what I'm saying is you need to rebuild the carb or purchase a new one specifically for gasoline duty.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
bigjeep
AF Newbie

hi there,

my carb is a holley hp series i tought that becuase it has the alky metering blockes that they would be almost the same as a dominator gas carb beacuse they have bigger metering blocks for higher revving engines , i tought that if i use gas jets it should work
Old 02-11-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
My only thing is if you read bout his engine, it is set-up like a pure drag car motor and made for alcohol. Using 114 I'm sure might cut it but with high compression engines they use alcohol not as much for its octane but do to it's chemical properties under high compression it's less likely to dentonate. I could be wrong but this is what I have been told. So you can correct me also but like some1 said before. Why would u wanna switch to gas? If your thinking bout street duty with this motor your gonna have bigger problems than just converting it to use gas IMO
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
That's what an octane rating is, it's ability to resist detonation at high compression, you basically repeated your self GTstang. just leting ya know.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 01:57 PM   #9
bigjeep
AF Newbie

hi there,

your right this is going to be a drag motor and it must see street duty , so thats why im going with gas , i also dont wont to change my oil all the time with alcohol .
Old 02-13-2002, 08:54 PM   #10
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Quote:
Originally posted by TheMan5952
That's what an octane rating is, it's ability to resist detonation at high compression, you basically repeated your self GTstang. just leting ya know.
Octane is not the only thing that will dictate dentonation when you are talking of a fuel other than gas. That was my point. Just letting you know
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
texan
Writer Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by GTStang
Octane is not the only thing that will dictate dentonation when you are talking of a fuel other than gas. That was my point. Just letting you know
What specific fuel property does alcohol have, other than a high relative octane rating, that helps it to resist detonation?
Old 02-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #12
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

When converting from alcohol (methanol) to gasoline the engines power will decrease. This is because of methanols very low SAFR, which is only 6.5 compared to gasolines 14.7. Gasoline contains more energy than methanol, 44 MJ/kg against 20 MJ/kg (this is why methanol engines have higher fuel flow). But if we compare 20/6.5 = 3.08, 44/14.7 = 2.99, we'll find that the higher energy contain can't compensate for the lower SAFR.
Methanol have a density of 792 kg/m^3, RON 105 and MON 92.
High octane racefuels often have lower energy contents than standard fuels.

When converting, be sure that fuellines can withstand the new fuel. This is mostly a problem when converting to methanol but it's best to be sure.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:07 AM   #13
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
ok, I was usin octane because that's what is probaly most comparable between gas and alchohol other than the cooling capabilities of alcohol.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote