Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
compaqpunch
AF Regular

Head Gasket problem

I got a slow leak in my 92 stealth TT's head gasket. Its leaking out oil at a slow rate. I was told it would be around 1.3-1.8k to fix. Is that too much. Also would my head gasket leak be causeing low pressure while ideling? Is it bad to drive it while in this condition?
compaqpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49
Re: Head Gasket problem

head gasket job is basically a timing belt job + a little extra. since you have a TT, you have to unbolt the turbos from the exhaust header ( 3 bolts) to remove the head. also, i believe you must un bolt the water housing port from the head you are removing. 1300-1800 is high, but that's what a shop or dealership will charge you...highway robbery, if you ask me.

where do you live? if i were you i would find some local 3S owners that work on their own cars. they would charge you much less and you would know that someone did the job who actually knows these cars very well.

i charge 250 labor for a timing belt job. labor is around 200-300 for most 3S mechanics. then probably another 50-100 for other labor require to remove the head (depending on which head... front head is easy, rear head is a pain in the aSS!). as i recall OEM head gaskets run around 60-80 for a pair.

so yes, 1300-1800 is rape. find someone who knows what they are doing and it will be much cheaper.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

^^Linebckr49, if you're ever in the Bay Area (SF, CA area) and have your tools with me, let me know. Hehe

Also, compaqpunch, if you want OEM gaskets, PM jason_bet or go check out his website: http://www.pricematchedparts.com/index.html - he'll take care of you for sure.

Good luck!
sLADe781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
compaqpunch
AF Regular

Thanks guys for the help. Ya i live in the KC missouri area. Is it bad to be driving around with this problem? the leak is not to terribly bad, but i guess noticible. Also how much HP am i losing right now?
Thanks
Gavin
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLADe781
^^Linebckr49, if you're ever in the Bay Area (SF, CA area) and have your tools with me, let me know. Hehe
i do have a great aunt i've never met who lives in SF!
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
Old 07-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

^^I think it's about time you guys got reunited, no? LOL
sLADe781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
compaqpunch
AF Regular

So is it bad to be driving with it if its a slow leak??
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

yes, it could be bad. if the coolant flows into the oil passages, it will contaminate the oil, reduce its viscosity and could possibly lead to a spun bearing. if you have another car, stop driving the TT until you can get it fixed. otherwise, get it fixed sooner rather than later.

where do you live, compaq? i would take this opportunity to learn about your car, so find a 3S owner/self-taught mechanic near you who can help you with the labor.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
compaqpunch
AF Regular

I live in kansas city missouri, but i might have found someone to do it. he is a mechanic at lexus and has a eclipse GSX he works on and said he would do it for 700 if i found a web sight that had step by step instructions. know of any?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Kansas City 3S Owners thread.

a head gasket job is basically a timing belt (60K) job + removal of the heads. here are some links from the FAQ thread on the 60K
http://www.team3s.com/60k.htm
http://www.vr4stealth.com/60k-tune.htm
http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3S/Mai...elt/index.html
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=376006

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth