Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:26 AM   #1
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Gibson exhaust installed.

Well, I got it done this weekend. I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy actually installing it, but here are my observations for those interested:

The installation is basically simple. It takes less than an hour to remove the old system and install the Gibson.

There is a manufacturing flaw with my Gibson system, unfortunately. The out pipe on the muffler is nearly 1/4 inch larger than the rear pipe that connects to it. The rear pipe should have fit in snugly, but instead it just sat in there with a very large gap. This meant that it was impossible to clamp the pipe down all the way around and get a good seal. I was able to add a second clamp rotated 90 degrees from the first and some muffler tape to temporarily remedy the situation. I intend to have a muffler shop weld the connection for a permanent fix, which will add to the cost of the system by probably $30 or $40. I probably should ask Gibson for compensation, but that would likely be more hassle than it's worth.

Now the good news. The sound of this exhaust is exceptional. Very deep and not too loud. Even under full throttle it never really gets loud and cruising on the freeway it is nearly as quiet as stock.

I do seem to have a bit more power, especially in the mid RPM range. The main thing is that my throttle response is improved and the engine revs don't drop as quickly between shifts. Before, the engine revs would drop way too fast and cause a lag when hitting the next gear. This is almost entirely eliminated with the Gibson exhaust. Much less slow down between gears means quicker and smoother acceleration.

The polished stainless tip is very beautiful, for now. I wonder how long it will be before I Mosi it?

Before next weekend I should have my K&N Aircharger installed too and will try and get another writeup done and some pictures of both systems.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
which gibson did you get? Stormy's all stainless rusted, and it didn't come with a tip. is it aluminized? interested.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

I saw Charles' exhaust - it looked damn fine. Im not sure if I can hang out with Charles and Rick anymore - too much modaholicism.... Im trying to stay "on the wagon."
ozxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #4
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Charles is all stainless.... but this type of stainless will "rust"...but its just surface rust....it won't eat the metal away. The stainless doesn't have as much chrome content in it.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:31 PM   #5
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Hi, my name's Charles...I'm a modaholic!

Yeah, it's the stainless and I was aware of Stormy's situation. I also followed Gibson's explanation and it made sense to me. They also have a lifetime rust through guarantee, so I don't feel there's any reason to be concerned. The system is very sturdy and well built and I don't give a rip if it turns brown...it's under the truck.

I noticed when throwing out my old exhaust that it almost had a rust hole in the muffler, which surprised me. I drive a lot, so there is no moisture sitting around in my exhaust.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sentra Styling
How would you guys rate the Gibson system in comparison to the Borla?
All SR20DE powered...
Sentra Styling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #7
Desert Rat
AF Newbie

How much was it, and what is the product #. Very interested n that and a K&N. D.R.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:41 AM   #8
arlo7
AF Newbie

do you know if that exaust will work on a supercharged. I read two different things, one saying it would and the other not.
arlo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:26 AM   #9
Efrain Curet
AF Newbie

:flash:Just for starter I LOVE MY XTERRA,! and I have installed Jim wolf charger and I also had a oval 18 inch, Magnaflow catback, with 2 1/2 inch pipes and it is a world of differnts between my wife's 2001 and my 2002 xterra. When you hit the gas it goes. I went with jim wolf because they are into nissans for a living and K&N his a one fit all.

I paid $120 for the pop filter and $170 for my Magnaflow custom catback system istall.

I like having two xterra because nothing goes to waste, my wife's 2001 xterra has my old K&N filter

why pay $300 bucks for something that you have to install yourself my magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and when I called the company I was told that less than 1% of there muffler are returned for warranty and the 18 inch is good on my ears and my three year old son ears. Most shop will let you watch as they install it and well answer any questions you might have. Love it on and off road. Get rid of you OEM shocks the suck.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:36 PM   #10
policeman69
AF Newbie

I had a question about the Gibson, Calimini, or any performance exhaust. I was wondering about the warranty because if I get a muffler at Midas, for example, I get free replacements for a lifetime and only have to pay for labor. Do any of these performance exhaust come with something like that or will I have to purchase a new exhaust system ever time it rusts out.
policeman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #11
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by policeman69
I had a question about the Gibson, Calimini, or any performance exhaust. I was wondering about the warranty because if I get a muffler at Midas, for example, I get free replacements for a lifetime and only have to pay for labor. Do any of these performance exhaust come with something like that or will I have to purchase a new exhaust system ever time it rusts out.
Gibson Stainless comes with a limited lifetime warrranty, whatever that means. I didn't research it too much. The Aluminized Gibson is only warranted for a year or soemthing I think.

Borla has a "Million Mile" warranty, which I think would be similar to "lifetime."

I do not know what Calmini's warranty is on their exhausts. Calmini uses a generic muffler though (by that I mean it's not theirs and it's widely available for different applications) and the warranty may be based on whoever makes that...I can't think of it at the moment.

The reality is that none of the stainless systems should rust. You'll get some surface rusting but none of them should actually rust through. I would say you have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:29 PM   #12
Aythya
AF Newbie

Cool gibson exhaust

Not that Im an expert but I'm placing my bets on the gibson due to research not any thing else. I bought a lifetime muffler for my GMC truck and had two replaced by Meineke, you know the lifetime muffler people. Not one single one of those mufflers improved performance or kept me warm in the cold......He He.......... I drove the truck for 6 years before I bought the X.

I'm going with the Gibson, had my eye on it for a while....
Aythya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:10 AM   #13
policeman69
AF Newbie

Yeah, performance wise, the Gibson will blow any Meinike or Midas muffler out of the water. But you also don't have to pay for a new muffler ever. I guess if yo want more power, you have to pay for it.
policeman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #14
jglenn84
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jglenn84 Send a message via Yahoo to jglenn84
Gibson exhaust install

Sounds great Charles.... I'll be ordering mine very soon and plan to take some pictures of the install. Hopefully all goes well, seeing as how this will be my first cat-back install. Actually it sounds pretty straight forward...

I was going to test my HP before and after, but there's nobody in Colorado Springs who can do that on an Xterra. I'll probably just notice the difference in the acceleration and throttle response. I can't wait to get it done.
jglenn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:55 AM   #15
bluztraveler
AF Newbie

I have had my 6in.round x 21in. long with a 2 3/4 i.d. Magnaflow with custom made cat-back on my X for almost a year now. I LOVE IT
It sounds great with an open throttle and is nice and smooth when crusing. I do alot of highway driving with a 5X8 ft. trailer (filled with camping gear) and a 12 ft. boat on top. The X also has a K&N on a modified stock airbox which pulls its air from around the headlight pod kind of a ramair unit , but its better than sucking all that hot air under the hood. The fuel mileage has gotten better ,but now I need to stop driving with my foot hard on the loud peddle its not helping the mileage.
Sorry on pics. got to get a camera :~)
bluztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote