Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #31
russiankid
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Re: Honda Accord starting Problem

one problem is the dealer, the dealer people dint give a shit about your car so i wouldnt be surprised if they stick a used oil filter on or even leave the one u have on, just clean it a bit, so dont trust dealers, second how many miles do you have on it? if u have more then 50k then u should change your fuel filter, because while the engine is in park and has no strain on it the fuel goes fine, but when you put strain on it by putting it into a drive or w/e the fuel filter is drity which causes the engine not to get enough fuel so it just shuts off
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #32
brian596
AF Newbie

I have a simular problem

I am having a problem with my accord, and am trying to figure it out as well. Mine stalls while driving as well - but everything works eg: radio, lights, a/c... I can get it started by turning the ignition but as soon as I release the key it dies again and again..... don't know why and am not comfortable driving long distances since it is so unpredictable... I'm waiting to hear from my mechanic to check it out. Will let you know what I find out - hopefully nothing major!!! Good luck.
brian596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #33
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: Re: Honda Accord starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy I.C.
thanx for the help, but i just found out she filled the tank with diesel fuel...
Your fuel system will be nice and clean now.....

At least she didn't fill a diesel with gas. That'll blow the head right off the motor.

I think Hondas have a drain bolt in the tank, or they used to I know.

I'd drain it, pull the line off the fuel rail and let the pump blow the line clean and reconnect, then spray start it with some ether so it'll start (probably have to dry the plugs out first) and run long enough to clear any diesel residue from the rail and injectors.

For you others that said possibly EGR problem on others acting like this, if you can start the car by holding the throttle open (as if it was flooded) and keep it running by feathering the throttle, but it dies when you take your foot off the gas, it could well be an EGR or IAC problem (both create a large vacuum leak/lean condition that it can't overcome at idle or startup.)

If nothing, you probably have a fuel delivery issue.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #34
all168
AF Newbie

I had the problem with my 03 accord before, I brought it back to the dealer and they said a hose is lose, I don't remember what exactly the name of the part but I remember it is something to do with the emission system. I am not sure if it will related to the people who own 98-02 accord.
all168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #35
dodins
AF Newbie

Hi guys.. i'm new to these forum and need ur help. I have a Honda Accord 1998 LX. A week ago after driving the car for 2 hours I noticed the coolant was coming out from the coolant reservoir and when I finally turned off the engine the coolant was excessively dripping out from the reservoir and even half drained the radiator. the mechanic later told me to replace the radiator cap which I did.But yesterday was worst, my car wont start. So have to tow it in the auto shop. The mechanic told me after testing it( took out the sparkplug and turn the ignition on..a mist of watery substance came out).. that could be the head is crack. Please advice me if ever its crack could the sealant work? or shpould i go and change the head? or change the engine it self.? Both are worth a thousand. need ur advice.
dodins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #36
lizzylou
AF Newbie

I had a simular problem with my 98 Honda accord, V6 Vtec. It would turn over put not completely start, but if we waited a minute or 2 then it would start just fine, it also would die just driving down the road. of course it would do it at the most inconvenient times. Took it to the dealership about 4 times the computer said nothing was wrong with it. Finally one day it happened at the gas station close to the dealership once it started we took it right over there....the tech's were able to get it to do it again...turned out it was the solder joint on the starter relay. The joint was cracked and whenever we would go over a bump or uneven road it would come disonected slightly and then when we would try to start it again it wouldn't. So for about $100 we had that replaced and never had a problem with that since.
lizzylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #37
yesido4u
AF Newbie

I have a 98 accord coupe v6 and I'm having a starting problem when ever the car is left in hot weather for a long time. I'm trying to figure out what it is. I read all about it it all the time and everybody says the same thing. they brought the car for the recall and after that the problem started to begin. I had no problems with my car till I brought the car for the egnition control. If someone has any idea what the problem is please tell me. Thank you...
yesido4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
William Williams
AF Newbie

Very interesting these starting problems; I have a 92 Accord wagon that starts and runs fine when the weather is cool or it is in the shade. If it sits in a hot parking lot all day it will not start. This morning (bright sun) it would not start. I opened the gas cap and let the pressure excape from the tank and it started right up.

Releasing the tank pressure was just luck. I was let down several times after that until I got serious about finding the problem. I removed the main relay (way up behind the dash on the left side of the steering wheel) and checked the continuity on all terminals. This was okay. Next I found an almost indecernable crack on the coil housing. After replacing the coil, I have had no other problems. If you have a starting issue (electrical), you should check three things: 1. the main relay (this contains the power relays for both the fuel pump and the electronic control unit), 2. the coil, and 3. the igniter (ignition control module) on the distributor. See page 4-3 & 5-3 in your"Haynes (90 - 93 Honda) Repair Manual" #42012.

Last edited by William Williams; 10-18-2007 at 01:55 PM.
William Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #39
rollin17s
AF Newbie

I read over this thread with alot of interest and I had to let everyone that has a 90 to 93 accord know that I had the same problem and I bought a main relay of of ebay and stuck it in last night and it fixed my car. Its a pain in the butt to get to and in a hard spot to reach especially if yor like me and a pretty good sized fella. lol Anyway here is a link that should help with step by step instructions on how to get to it and get it out http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...l/bl_hmr_1.htm. I hope this helps any of you experiencing the hot starting problem. By the way the relay was 25 bucks with shipping off ebay versus like 75 at a dealer.
rollin17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #40
alarmpro
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin17s
I read over this thread with alot of interest and I had to let everyone that has a 90 to 93 accord know that I had the same problem and I bought a main relay of of ebay and stuck it in last night and it fixed my car. Its a pain in the butt to get to and in a hard spot to reach especially if yor like me and a pretty good sized fella. lol Anyway here is a link that should help with step by step instructions on how to get to it and get it out http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...l/bl_hmr_1.htm. I hope this helps any of you experiencing the hot starting problem. By the way the relay was 25 bucks with shipping off ebay versus like 75 at a dealer.
But you could have easily fixed by redoing the solders on the PCBoard of the main relay, fixed a lot of those without having to buy a new one, and you might encounter the same defects of the solders in your Running Daylight Module if your car is equipped with DRL. Symptoms will be high beam lights and DRLights not working.
alarmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #41
mommatroll
AF Newbie

HELP-wHERE IS THE GAS RELAY SWITCH LOCATED ON A 1988 hONDA aCCORD AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
mommatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #42
bossmanjef
AF Newbie

OK I have a 97 Honda Accord EX 2.2 Liter Engine and I am having some problems. My car is having problems starting up. The engine is turning over but just wont start. Although there are times the car will startup the 1st time I try it or the second time. I did recently put some fuel system cleaner in my car but I am not sure if that could be the issue. I have checked the Dist. Cap, spark plugs and wires and all seems fine. I thought I may have some condensation built up in the Dist . Cap so I dumped a gallon of water on it while the car was on and no miss fires. Now when I do get the car started it runs very well. I took it to the Honda dealership they are telling me fuel pump and fuel filter. I am thinking just the filter. (On a side note) some times while I am in stop and go traffic my cars idle is up high and some times low. I hope this is enough info and someone can give me an idea. thanks Sorry for posting in the wrong area I just noticed.
bossmanjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #43
3000bolts
AF Newbie

fuel pump relay is the common answers to all of ur problems.
3000bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #44
wwelopez
AF Newbie

hey man im having the same problem as you had what did u do to fix it can u help me out
wwelopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #45
hoffergetoffer
AF Newbie

Question Re: Honda Accord starting Problem

i have a 91 accord and we can not get any spark . weve replaced everything, distributor relays ect. our check engine light doesnt come on either. i was told that it could be the ecu unit. we replaced that and now i hear that i need one that is for that car. is this correct and how do i find one. Any suggestions please im ready to push it off a cliff
hoffergetoffer is offline   Reply With Quote