Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
ineedtolearnmore
AF Newbie

Checking the Legitimacy of a Recent Repair

Introduction:
Hello, I am new to both this forum and cars. I have little to no mechanical understanding of cars. From poking around a few posts it seems that most present on the forum are veterans to the world of cars. Any info to my current predicament is greatly appreciated. Additionally, if there are any tips/ basic information about cars that you feel everyone should know please feel free to impart some of your wisdom.

Situation:
My car was taken to the shop by my father who suspected something was wrong with the rear right brake of my 2005 Honda Accord ex. A day or so later ( I was not very involved with the whole process) I was told by my father, who was told by the mechanic (I'm assuming that all that work at garages are mechanics) at the garage, something was wrong with that piston in the caliper and that when the brakes are used it the piston will...... do its... job..... but it wont return to the state its supposed to upon being engaged, resulting the brakes getting....stuck.... I think. He also mentioned that it was something wrong with the fluids that help engage the pistons. This information is all gathered second hand from someone whose understanding of cars is only slightly higher than my own. So I'm sure those that have a thorough understanding are probably scratching their heads right now. Below I've attached the paperwork we received upon completion of the repair. It might be a long shot but I'm hoping someone who is more knowledgeable about these things can tell me if anything looks off about the repair cost, and whether or not I could have saved myself the money by doing it myself.
unnamed.jpg

Any responses are helpful
-Thank you in advance for your time
ineedtolearnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Checking the Legitimacy of a Recent Repair

Considering the complaint listed on the repair order and also as described by you above, the repair seems reasonable. Given the vehicle age and mileage, as well as the concern that the brake fluid may be contaminated (likely if it's original to the car) I would have also replaced the flexible brake hoses to save on that labor cost in the near future, so it doesn't necessarily seem like they attempted to take advantage of you.

Most definitely the cost of parts would have been lower had you purchased them yourself, but I don't get the impression from your description of your automotive knowledge that you could have done the work properly yourself. The shops need to make money in addition to paying for their continuing education, property costs, insurance costs, and utility costs. The prices they listed for many of the items do not seem outrageous considering they probably mark the part costs up at least 40% to cover their overhead and make some profit.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Checking the Legitimacy of a Recent Repair

You have two choices here: either do it yourself and save tons of money or trust a "mechanic" and let him take your money.

Good mechanic is a hit or miss.

The main reason I started working on my cars myself is the way I have been treated by so called "mechanics"

So, if you decide to do the work yourself, let us know and you will be guided.

If you decide to take your car to a garage for them to do the work, try to go to a different one and see what they will tell you.

The fluid, like shorod says, is most likely old and contaminated and needs to be replaced anyway.
The caliper needs to be looked at and nobody can do it over the internet.
The same thing is the rotor.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid