Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #31
jers58
AF Newbie

Re: How-to change the PITA #3 spark plug

Now this works great.. Saved a lot of time the second time around.. didn't even bust a nuckle..
jers58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #32
vando002
AF Regular

I know no one has replied to this post for about a year but this post was brilliant!!!! I had all 6 plugs out and replaced in less than 30 minutes!! I still have to change everything else but moving the steering shaft was fricken great!!!
vando002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #33
fuzzbutt
AF Newbie

Would it be possible to re-upload or rehost the pictures.
fuzzbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
gmchater
AF Newbie

Need help

I have a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4 automatic 4.3L vortec
I changed one spark plug in it today and the service engine light came on. Im pretty sure that the spark plug boot was on all the way and the engine was not running rough. I put in platinum plugs for it and Im wondering if this may have somehow changed the emission causeing that light to trip.
Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful. Also i heard that by disconnecting the negative cable for a few minutes will reset the light, is this right??. And anyways if the problem still exists it will trip it again. I put the oringinal ones back in and the lights still on. Please help
gmchater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #35
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Here is the Snap on tool that allows removal without touching the steering column.

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/S9723.pdf
reefgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #36
elijahoil
AF Newbie

I'm not getting any pictures.
elijahoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #37
elijahoil
AF Newbie

seems like great advice, but I would really like to see the pictures. I was trying to do the same thing on a Dodge Dakota "95 and had no luck getting the intermmediate steering shaft off. It wouldn't telescope like we thought it probably should. although we didn't try wd40ing it. I guess that might have helped it budge.
I can't figure out why I can't see the pics. In Opera, there's not even a hint that there are supposed to be pictures there. In Fire Fox same. In I.E. I see little squares where the pics should be, but I can't get them show anything.
elijahoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #38
reed92
AF Newbie

This sounds way more complicated than it should actually be. I went to sears and bought an attachment that is basically a bolt head that fits into the back of your spark plug socket. That made the socket long enough that i could get an offset wrench on it.

I'd much rather do it my way than mess with the steering shaft! O.o
reed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #39
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I don't know if it's any help here or not, but with the older ones I always just used a really long extension with a u-joint on the socket end, lifted up the splash guard in the wheelwell and went through there...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #40
tinyaroa
AF Newbie

Thanks for your thread, but I can't see the images, I am a true novice, and really could use the photos, thanks for your help!
tinyaroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #41
reefgeorge
AF Regular

The snap-on tool referenced above is $35 and I know that times are lean but it was a well spent $35. Plug R/R was 5 minutes, no bleeding, and no profanity. Just have a 3/8" socket u-joint ready along with your extension and ratchet and go in through the wheel well. The longest part of the job is spinning the old plug out with your fingertips after you break the plug loose with the tool.

Good luck.
reefgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #42
alwaystwiztid
AF Newbie

Wow it just amazes me that every one wants to pull apart the steering shaft to do this tune up! If anyone worked in an automotive shop replied here they would tell you their secrets there are two! First off if you work at one and have a half way decent tool guy thru snap on all copyright reserved lol they can get you the socket just for this job and all you do is put a 5/8 or 16mm truely they are both the same on it and wa la its lose and you can get it out with your finger tips or use a gear wrench on it easy as cake. if you dont work at a shop next best thing as long as you own a grinding wheel grind off just a little under 3/8 off of the end that the ratchet would go in start small work you way up start at a little over a quater but you will in the end have a great tool this will alow you to do the same thing without spending 35 dollars on the socket either way once you have it saves you everytime takes less than five minutes a side to change plugs
alwaystwiztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
alwaystwiztid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlith View Post
Problem with that is that you stress the motor mounts
u wouldnt if you unbolted the one side and used a car jack to lift that one sid e just a thought but none the less not how i would do it anyway
alwaystwiztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #44
diemakerret
AF Newbie

There is a warning label on the steering shaft of my 2000 GMC Jimmy 4x4 that turning the steering shaft while disconnected could cause a malfunction of the air bag system. Is this a real danger and how far would it need to turn?
diemakerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #45
steener
AF Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks, this saved me time and more important, skin and stress.
steener is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info