Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Cusser
AF Regular

Tires for Suburban 1994

OK, I've had my '94 Sub since 2000, now 200K miles, had 30-9.50-15 LT (light truck) tires on it when purchased. Since then we've replaced with same size, Michelin.

When she's not bathing, Mrs. Cusser tows a horse trailer (with horse or two) several times a month. Would it be different or less safe to use the 235-75-15 tires which are specified in the manual, or are LT tires worth the upcharge? Thanks.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
idmetro
AF Regular

Re: Tires for Suburban 1994

My understanding of this topic is basic but here goes:

P is for passenger, LT is for light truck. You may see either type on the same vehicle, this is to say there could be some crossover. There are a couple of things to consider - passenger tires are built to provide a softer ride and will not carry as heavy a rating if used on a "truck". Figures I have seen suggest at least a 10% derating if used on a truck. Truck tires on the other hand run at higher pressures and don't flex as much so the ride isn't quite as smooth. I have not seen any recommendations for using P type tires on a tow vehicle of the burbs size...

As far as going with 30/9.50/15 vs 235/75/15's I think the 30/9.50/15's look MUCH better matched to the burb while the 235/75/15's look more like little donuts, I have the 30/9.50/15's on my burb as well. It's amazing what about a 1/2" difference in width and diameter can do.

Since the burb is used to tow a horse trailer several times a month I suggest paying the upgrade and going the LT route so the lovely Mrs. Cussler will continue to enjoy bathing for years to come.
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: Tires for Suburban 1994

Thank you, idmetro, for a good explanation. Mrs. Cusser will continue to ride on LT tires.
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban