Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
Nick Hardy
AF Newbie

Question No lights on left half of instrument cluster

I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 with 114,000 miles. Last night when I turned on my headlights, the left half of my instrument panel did not light up. This includes the tachometer, voltmeter, and engine coolant temperature gauge. These gauges are working properly; they are just not lighting up. The rest of the gauges on the instrument cluster are working correctly; only the left half is not lighting up. Could this mean that an instrument cluster light bulb has gone out? If so, does anybody have any directions and information on replacing that light bulb. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Nick Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw
Re: No lights on left half of instrument cluster

remove inst cluster remove bulb look at it to see if it discolored or if the element inside is broken if so replace the bulb
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Jay97Rodeo
AF Newbie

the right side light on my 97 Rodeo's instrumentation panel does not light up. I was quoted $90 for replacing it. And this is not from a dealer but from a shop where I am a regular. The guy said $90 is for labor to remove the instrumentation panel. the bulb itself is a couple of $s.thanks
Jay97Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
oiram
AF Newbie

Re: Re: No lights on left half of instrument cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay97Rodeo
the right side light on my 97 Rodeo's instrumentation panel does not light up. I was quoted $90 for replacing it. And this is not from a dealer but from a shop where I am a regular. The guy said $90 is for labor to remove the instrumentation panel. the bulb itself is a couple of $s.thanks
I too own a '96 Rodeo and had the same problem. It's tricky and will take some work but you can remove the instrument panel in about 15 minutes. Remove the screws around the instrument panel and surrounding areas. The panel is "popped" in place so you'll have to carefully pry a little. Disconnect the gauges. The bulbs are located on the back of the panel and are easy to remove. Just twist off and replace. Test the lights first to ensure proper contact. Good luck!
oiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
DAVISEMT
AF Newbie

Re: No lights on part of instrument cluster

I also own a 96 rodeo. I am also having trouble with some of my dash light are out. I took the dash apart & removed the instrument cluster. (It took 15 mins & 1 phillips screwdriver.) I found that the bulb that light the instrument panel were held in by twist connectors. Some of these connectors were dry rotted from heat. So it was not because my bulbs were burnt out but that the twist bulb sockets were rotten & would not hold the bulb agains the power strip. I have check every parts house in Memphis, Tn, including the dealer, & no one carrys the sockets. Does any one know where I can buy these sockets at. Any where in the U.S. is fine with me. Thank you!
DAVISEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: No lights on part of instrument cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVISEMT
I also own a 96 rodeo. I am also having trouble with some of my dash light are out. I took the dash apart & removed the instrument cluster. (It took 15 mins & 1 phillips screwdriver.) I found that the bulb that light the instrument panel were held in by twist connectors. Some of these connectors were dry rotted from heat. So it was not because my bulbs were burnt out but that the twist bulb sockets were rotten & would not hold the bulb agains the power strip. I have check every parts house in Memphis, Tn, including the dealer, & no one carrys the sockets. Does any one know where I can buy these sockets at. Any where in the U.S. is fine with me. Thank you!
call stcharlesisuzu in missouri and ask for merlin. discount, expert advice, and free shipping
http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx

here's a parts illustration from the isuzu online parts site www.myisuzuparts.com

you can see those sockets are avialable seperately #117

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Chumm
AF Newbie

Holy Batman!!! Revival of a dead thread!!!

Hey guys, if you are looking to replace those little sockets, go to http//:www.autolumination.com they sell the little buggers for $0.27 a piece instead of the dealership. Its listed under the 74 bulb. Plus you can get brighter lights for your ride there too!!! I just recently bought almost all the lights needed in the Isuzu Rodeo that I have, just waiting for them to arrive and install them all. Only prob is I haven't figured out the cluster removal yet on my 2k Rodeo, any pics of how???
Chumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
klockwerken
AF Newbie

Re: Holy Batman!!! Revival of a dead thread!!!

Unfortunately the tool bar does not have the 'paperclip' for attachments so as to attach the requested pictures but...it's actually easier than one thinks in removing the dash cluster from the vehicle.
We have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS and the removal starts with the two phillips head screws located under the dash lip above the steering column.
Lower your steering column using the little handle for adjusting the column height for better clearance.
Then, carefully pry away the instrument dash trim which are held on by snap clips. Some wiggling of the dash trim is necessary but do so thoughtfully.
Next are three phillips head screws that hold the rest of the dash trim in place. The toughest one to access is directly under the cruise control button to the left of the steering column. Be creative...and careful.
Once all of the fasteners are removed, carefully disconnect the two or three electrical connectors that are plugged into the cruise control switch and the dimmer switch (if so equipped). Now carefully lift the dash trim up and out towards the passenger side.
Next, remove the four phillips fasteners that hold the dash cluster in place.
Then, carefully remove the four or five electrical dash plugs from the instrument cluster and remove the instrument cluster.

Remove cluster from dash frame.

The light bulbs are a quarter-twist type and are easy to remove. As noted above, the burned out bulb will appear sooty or grayish versus the perfectly clear bulbs. Remove and replace as needed.

Helpful Hint: Take a nice, small LED flashlight and shine it into the socket of the bulb that you removed....now look at the dash from the front and you'll see which part of the instrumentation illuminates.

Total Time for removal, repair, re-install...less time than it took me to write this thread. (15-20 minutes) and you'll save yourself $120.00+ if the "Stealership" did it for you.
klockwerken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Isuzu2002driver
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 isuzu rodeo anyone have any tips or anything that could help me with getting my dash of to replace a couple cluster lights that went out?
Isuzu2002driver is offline   Reply With Quote