Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
simoun_sy

car dies at full stop...please help! 00civic EX AT

Please help. I just noticed today that everytime I make a complete stop, my car would just sart choking and dies. The battery light goes on right after. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I've noticed my stock alarm has been acting up. It does not arm and disarm correctly. Twice today I disarmed my alarm and still the horns came on. Please let me know.Thanks OH yeah and also I really didn't modify anything in my car except for an intake. I have a subwoofer and my alpine deck connected directly to the battery but I checked and saw that the power was off on both when the car is off. I really haven't done any tune up job int he car except for the usual maintenance like oil changes and alignments. I saw in other threads that it could be the fuel filter and the sparkplugs. Also someone told me that it could be the alternator. OH yeah when the car dies, I just put it on neutral and it starts up fine. It drives fine actually except when I make a complete stop. Thanks for your help. Please keep me posted
:flash:
Old 02-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
well it wouldnt be ur alternator cuz the car runs when you are driving, if that was faulty then it wouldnt last very long. it may be your fuel pump not sending a voltage when your car is idle, or not sending fuel at idle.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
simoun_sy

could the problem also be the battery since it won't power the alarm when the car is off? or does it have anything to do with that at all? Thanks for the reply:flash:
Old 02-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
dirk-diggler
Banned

I had the same problem in mine, it had an air intake leak, check it by wrapping your mouth around the intake pipe(not the exhaut pipe) and blow into it, if yer able to blow in that means ya got a vacuum leak, when you blow it tell a friend to listen for any hissing soundz so yall can locate it!:frog:
dirk-diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
i would try and put in some fuel injection cleaner and replace your fuel filter and then see if it still happens
civickiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
b16a3sol
AF Enthusiast

it sounds like an electrical problem, since your alarm is messing up also. i would check to make sure that your battery is still within spec, along with your alternator. it may be that your alternator is starting to die, so it only puts out enough electricity when its spinning faster than idle, as is the case when you are driving. it could be a vacuum leak, but i would expect a throbbing idle, rather than almost no idle at all. i would also look at your ignition system, if everything else turns out fine, by starting with the ignition coil, then moving on from there.
b16a3sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:24 AM   #7
Chris1337
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Chris1337
That is wierd. My grandmas car was having the same problem, when she stopped, the car would act like it's choking, then cut off. I replaced her Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs & Wires, and the Distributor Cap & Rotor, and now it runs like new... And her battery light would come on right after her car shut off also... do a big tune-up and see if it helps, switch the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. And if you want to check your alternator, start the car, live it running for like a minute, then disconnect the negative battery cable, if the car stalls out, the alternator is bad, if it doesn't, reconnect the battery cable, and your alternator is still good. Hope this helped some.

Chris1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical