Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792
Pontiac Aztek VS. the "ugly" imports

This was an article written by a member of another automotive forum.

Long the butt of jokes, the Aztek - that styling experiment at GM gone awry - is starting to look somewhat normal.

Nissan, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and even usually conservatively styled Honda have put out their own "stylish" vehicles that make the Aztek look tame - or at least a lot less radical - by comparison.

In the company of new cars like the Honda Element or Mistubishi Outlander, the Aztek is much less likely to draw stares, or leave people with gaping mouths or pointing and grinning. With Azteks even serving as rental car fare, people have gotten used to it.

Interestingly enough, the outlandish looks of the Import Brands models don't get much ridicule. They are said to be tailored for the "youth market", and its left at that, while the Aztek design could have only come from the GM Blanderizer mated to an already strange concept vehicle (Well, they DID take the painted cladding away from the concept...): (IMG:http://www.3m.com/intl/br/industria/...les/azetek.jpg)
No one would suggest that perhaps the styling team in charge of the Element was just as influenced by Marketing Suits and Beancounters as the Aztek was.

Debate on whether the Aztek has been unfairly blasted because it is a GM while equally "exotic" Imports get a "pass" aside, the fact is that the Aztek is in some funky company now. And it gets funkier by the year, while the Aztek is actually turning down the volume and getting...classier?
(IMG:http://www.pontiac.com/aztek/images/bg_image3.jpg)
That's right - less screaming taxi cab yellow and fire truck red, and more subtle, mature colors to tone down the sharp, angular styling, and painted cladding that kills the harsh and unattractive contrast between color and black/gray plastic that the Honda Element actually embraces.

The "Failure" of the Aztek is odd in a way -- it seems that GM was not the only one to think that it looked good before launching it. It is hard to believe that the Honda Element, Subaru Baja and Mitsubishi Outlander weren't at least somewhat inspired by the looks and versatility of the Aztek. Who knows, if the Aztek had been priced 5,000 dollars cheaper, perhaps the Aztek would have been more popular with the youth market it was targeted at, and people at the Car Magazines would have decided that it was good, and simply something they, with their balding pates and salt & pepper beards just couldn't understand (or does that only apply to "hip" Import brands?).

In a market where it blends in better, the Aztek, with its heavy rebates and more subdued colors and cladding - but still its fair share of uniqueness - actually makes for a more appealing choice on the Pontiac lots.

So does this mean that we should hold out hope that the Aztek will get a new 3.5L or 3.9L VVT engine with modern power punch to match its modern looks and "Rally" package inspiration, or that it will suddenly become a best-selling hit that takes the market by storm with people looking for a fuel efficient SUV in these days of 2 dollar gasoline? In a word, no. GM isn't known for heaping money on vehicles it has deemed to be "lost cause" material. The best we can hope for is more meaningless "Rally" updates that may be attractive and neat but are as functional as the Grand Am SC/T's hoodscoops, and equally impotent at drawing in new customers who probably wouldn't notice the cosmetic differences anyway.

What we (and Pontiac) can hope for is that the Aztek will actually go out with some dignity. Perhaps that its functional, and yes, even attractive interior and almost over the top versatility - (IMG:http://www.savvymotoring.com/cars/20..._aztek_ten.jpg) - will get the respect it deserves. Looking back, I doubt many who haven't already had their opinions molded by the Auto Media will remember the Aztek as anything any more radical in the looks department than the Trans Sport "Dustbuster" Minivan that came before it.

Instead, it may well be remembered as a historically significant vehicle that helped start the whole "versatile crossover" craze. And that deserves at least a bit of respect. Even if it left us with a bevy of strange-looking vehicles from the other Automakers.

(IMG:http://images.automotive.com/reviews.../02santafe.jpg)
(IMG:http://world.honda.com/news/2002/image/4021105_1d.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.thecarplace.com/murano/front1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.car-data.com/photos.30/p....ander.30.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.filibe.com/auto/nissan_quest.jpg)

So whats your opinion about this?

gonenuts15792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Pontiac Aztek VS. the "ugly" imports

i didnt read all of it cause its loooong! but i can say the aztek is UGLY!! and i dont think it can even compare to the "ugly" imports. I'd take a nice lookin pathfinder over that POS anytime!
nacho_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

Most of the Japanese examples that were given are pretty ugly, but it doesn't make the Aztec any less ugly...

And no, I don't have double standards, I made fun of these japanese cars when they came out the same as I did for the Aztec.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
I never thought of it from that point of view, but I do understand where this guy is coming from. Maybe it did have some type of influence on the spawn of the import series of odd looking SUV's, but maybe its to soon to tell. As for now, I still think the Aztec is just plain ugly, but then again, the Element and such has also struck me as a very odd looking vehicle. It may just take me a while for both of them to rub off on me.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:55 AM   #5
phlygirl1437
AF Newbie

I think it's just that ugly grey plastic cladding that just rubs me the wrong way. When the Aztec first came out, it was the plastic that threw me off. Same goes for the first few years of the Avalanche (now they offer color-keyed plastic, which helped out, still looks ugly though).

The Element has the same effect with me. Too much grey plastic for me to get by.

All the other SUVs pointed out seem fine to me, albeit unique and modernish... Not exactly my cup of tea.

As for the Aztec being the SUV to start the crossover trend, it's hard to tell. The Aztec wasn't exactly popular, so I can't see how it alone brought on the wave of crossover vehicles. The Isuzu Vehicross was around before the Aztec, but that wasn't a popular vehicle either. They may have had an influence on it though, because crossovers sure are becoming a popular choice.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #6
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

I agree on the plastic thing. Can't really stand the look of a lot of bare plastic on a car. Looks cheap to me.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

I agree with the plastic also.

gonenuts15792 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons