Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #16
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang
I was talking about on AF. Dodge does get bashed unfairly at times but it doesn't compare to how many Mustang suck, Ford sucks, etc.., I see on here by idiots. And I'm talking about random noobs not good standing members who are respectful of all cars.
I just think it is ignorance that Chevy, Ford, and Dodge guys have to deal with. I think the big three get plenty of crap around here that isn't deserved.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #17
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I just think it is ignorance that Chevy, Ford, and Dodge guys have to deal with. I think the big three get plenty of crap around here that isn't deserved.
I'll second that. People love to hate the domestics. Generally speaking, all cars need a level of appreciation reguardless of where its built. Whether its a Mustang, or a Civic, they all influence new trends of products in the automobile industry.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 PM   #18
72_R/T
AF Newbie

Polygon said it.
Mopar unrated the Hemi..
The Cammer isnt a Production engine.
And the two are in 2 completly different Classes..
Are you going to compare a Geo Metro to a Viper Next?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #19
Corn Dog
AF Newbie

new guy

ok i'm a new guy on here first off, second i only bothered to read the first few of your posts so excuse me if i cover material that u two finally agreed on. Ok, to start i am a Ford guy, but the Cammer was not production, because in order for it to be production it has to be made in the vehicle themselves off the assembly line. And about the Cammer not being reliable, it was far from unreliable, and to correct you, the NHRA at the time this engine came around, 1965-1970 abouts, they were partial to Hemis, and that dodge complained bc they had actually had their asses handed to them, once they got beat the whole association pretty much banned them, but as far as legalities go, the cammer was perfectly legal in all aspects back then. Granted that the hemi is a great engine, and reliable, it is still true that the cammer was its only competition back in the day, and about that supposed hemi that put out 900 HP, tell me where u find that, and wether it was a project engine or actually for sale, bc that would most definetely be illegal. Theres my input, and like i said sorry for covering things already discussed if they were. And u want the Facts to back this stuff up, start investigating, bc i found them and so should you!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
welcome to AF...hope you enjoy your time here.

about the last part though
Quote:
And u want the Facts to back this stuff up, start investigating,
bc i found them and so should you!
it would be nice if you would post links or references to your sources since this is a car forum and we are all here to learn more, and what better way to do that than by sharing

not to mention that by bringing proper references your point becomes that much more valid

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #21
Corn Dog
AF Newbie

point taken

i guess that is true, i'll get them as soon as i can actually get my favorites back. thenwe'll see
Old 01-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #22
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Yes, because I would love to see some information about Chrysler bitching about the Cammer and getting it banned. As for the 900HP Hemi, it could be street legal, but the one I was referring to is just rumor and speculation. It was said to have been a project engine and only one was every built. I was never planned for production.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:35 AM   #23
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Does anybody have an idea to which engine was pushing the most hp as a standard production model in the muscle era? Since just about every engine was underated, lets not throw in the 'claimed' manufacturer's rating because we all though how reliable those numbers are.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:56 PM   #24
syr74
AF Regular

Hey, as long as were on the topic of factory freaks.....Ford designed a 427ci, dual under-head cam, 3 valve per cylinder V-8 to put into the GT40 race cars back in the day. (heeeey, wasn't Chevy talking about doing something like this for a new smallblock once upon a time?) Only two were ever made, and only one of those was ever finished. However, the rules changed and limited displacement soon after development of the first two mules started and this engine became illegal and was therefore abondoned.

And as for the 900hp Hemi...I cannot verify the hp rating and tend to believe it is lower than that (think Ford Cammer type hp levels IMO), but the engine does exist. It is in some entusiast's garage on it's own engine "platform" with a radiator and full blown cooling system.

Why? Because the sucker runs, thats why. Only one in existence if I am correct. BTW, no I don't have a link and since I am a Ford guy I sure as HELL ain't looking for Mopar info. I just remember having read an article on it in Hot Rod or PHR several years back and the guy actually cranked it up for them.

Now there is an engine that needs to find it's way into a Superbird that has a non original Hemi in it.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #25
Mercracer
AF Regular

Hello All!
I am new to the board and thought that this would be a good time to chime in.
Regarding the SOHC 427 being a production option, that is absolutely not true. It never made it into a production car. This can be verified my contacting Kevin Marti at Marti Auto Works. He has exclusive rights to the Ford production database.
Sources in print start out with the Ford Master Parts Catalog which has ZERO reference to SOHC parts.
Pord Performance by Pat Ganahl states the fact that it was not a production option.
Hot Rod Magazine January 1965 Page 30 has an excellent article on the engine development.
December/January 1997 Musclecar Review Page 54 has a great article on the engine. It tells the story of the rise and problems trying to get it approved for Nascar.

http://www.wrljet.com/engines/427sohc.html is a web site with an engine description.

There is no reputable source which will state that it was ever a production engine.

Regarding comparing it to other engines, it was nearly unstoppable when it was set loose on the drag strip

QUOTE:
"This all changed in 1966 when Ford introduced its 427-cid Ford single overhead cam engine. Pete Robinson (above) won the NHRA World Finals with one in Top Fuel and "Dyno Don" Nicholson and "Fast Eddie" Schartman (right) enjoyed 85-percent win ratios in their revolutionary "flip-top" Mercury Comet Funny Cars.

In 1967, Connie Kalitta stormed Top Fuel with consecutive wins at the AHRA, NHRA, and NASCAR Winternationals. Hot on his heels was Don "the Snake" Prudhomme with a win in Lou Baney's Ford SOHC Top Fuel dragster at the NHRA Springnationals in Bristol, Tenn.
"
Old 05-09-2004, 06:02 PM   #26
Corn Dog
AF Newbie

yes polygon the cammer was for racing, but it also didn't have any more problems than the 426 did, the only reason that dragsters use the hemi is that if your lucky enough to find a 427 Cammer, then you have quite the luck, considering that there were no more than 150 of them made, and they were made for only at the most 2 yrs, and ordered over the counter not many people knew about them. nothing against a hemi, i mean yea i'd love to have one myself but it deserves just as much credit as the hemi in power output. i was forutate to get to see a 427 at an auto show in a ford maverick, and it had balls. either way both are great engines that define "American Muscle".
Old 05-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #27
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Thread is 3 months old. Please do not revive any more old treads.

Closed

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons