Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #16
moneymaker44
AF Newbie

Re: How Many Miles On Your Aerostar??????

92 with 4.0 motor over 200K and still running yeah a few bug here and there but hey over 10 years old no major problems and 200K miles who is complaining
moneymaker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
pennypicher
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to pennypicher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypicher
It's now up to 386,000 miles. Will I hit 400K ????? I really don't think so??? Oh how sad I wish it would.
Nope its gonna retire at 389,000 plus a few more. Sad to see it go but it's rough to drive.
pennypicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
truckdude239
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to truckdude239

my 93 has 110k has rebuilt transmission at 104 k new water pump new internals on the sliding door new power window motors this car was never taken car of in the begginer years of its life but other then that it runs and drives great been wrecked twice but still looks good has the 3.0 in it
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
2aerostars
AF Newbie

I had an 89 and finally quit driving it at 186,000. It still didn't use any oil and ran fine. No transmission or engine problems. One mechanic suggested I have the transmission worked on when I had 80,000 miles on it - just because he thought the fluid was dark. I didn't have anything done on it and drove it another 100,000 miles. It rusted out so bad, no one wanted to drive it then. Hated to see it go.

I also bought a new one in 97 - while the kids drove the 89 at college. I now have 141,000 + miles on it- no major problems. I did finally get new plugs at 135,000 miles, and a new egr sensor. I just finished a trip from St Louis to Chicago with 22.2 mpg. I found out the high octane really gets me better mileage. It is a good solid and practical vehicle. Sorry they quit making them. - Oh, I do have only 1 gripe..the rear end is a little noisy. Might replace it. - Jim
2aerostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #20
MrJake
AF Newbie

1993 2WD aerostar - almost 220K.
Love it - wish I could replace it with a new one.
It's at the point where it needs tires and stuff like that.
I wish Ford had scraped the Windstar and kept the Aerostar.
Had an windstar - nothing but problems.
MrJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
stamar
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJake
1993 2WD aerostar - almost 220K.
Love it - wish I could replace it with a new one.
It's at the point where it needs tires and stuff like that.
I wish Ford had scraped the Windstar and kept the Aerostar.
Had an windstar - nothing but problems.
a friend of mine who is an overnight courier puts around 40k miles a year on minivans.

He had a windstar and bought a aerostar as back up for $500. His windstar is nothing but problems but his aerostar is ready to roll. So I think he feels the same way. He can afford to mess with the types of things that brake in the windstar hes looking to sell it and get an astro I think.

i think those two vehicles aerostar and astro are like the worst things on the road lol consumer reports says so at least. But hes a specific kind of driver and thats what they roll with. a toyota sienna is his dream car in his profession..... sort of the high miles minivan set dont you know lol.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #22
freddyx
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: How Many Miles On Your Aerostar??????

1994 4.0L 2WD.....186,000 No big issues and had it since 130,000 ish. Uses a quart of oil every 1000-2500 miles (I do hate that about Fords). Some oils seem to last longer before adding, and have not tried varying weight.

Other quirks: Shocks replaced, Antilock is not working quite right, solvent cleaned the air flow from the air cleaner to the throttle body (oil soaked) changed the PCV, and the engine light went off. The computer kept having lean errors, left bank issues, and pinged. Pings on occasion still (rarely). Front getting loose, sway bar cracked.

Really reliable though. Any preventative issues to change?....Oil pumps do they go bad often on these? Seems like a good vehicle and we like it. MPG about 20-27. Didn't seem to like platinum plugs much either and I switched back to copper.

On the other hand......My 88 Astro and 89 GMC Safari older, but seemed to be needy vehicles. Geeze replaced everything and both engines died nearly the same mileage of oil pump failure. 180K Nuts! Sold them both and happier ever since. I liked GM, but they are really disappointing me. Rented an Impala 2005 and the paint was awful. Sat a drink thermos on the rear trunk lid and slid it off.....The paint was scratched all the way deep. The car was black the scratch was white and plastic scrtched it that bad? Cumon!! Never have I seen anything so soft other than my spray paint job on my bike as a kid. Does it have a clear coat.....the rest of the car looked like every cleaning, the rental car company did, scratched the car. Or maybe it was one bad Monday on the assembly line

Last edited by freddyx; 07-21-2006 at 09:21 AM.
freddyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 AM   #23
Ima Ludite
AF Newbie

I have 195,744 miles on my 1990 with normal maintenance and repairs
Ima Ludite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Junky1991
AF Newbie

Just bought a 1993 XLT yesterday with 152,xxx miles, and of course runs great, shifts great, now the body rust......well im sure u guys know bout that
Junky1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 PM   #25
skibear
AF Newbie

I have a 1990 with 227000 miles, no major problems and still gets 27-28 mpg hwy. also have a 1994 with light body damage I've had stored and now fixing with only 34000 miles! Hope it's as good as the first.
skibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #26
RKOrton
AF Newbie

Just bought a 1993 Ford Aerostar XL with 47,400 miles. It's the 4WD 4.0L version. It drives like brand new. I'm having to put some work into it though (neglected maintenance stuff from previous owner) But in process of doing that now, and almost there. Hoping for it to go for miles and miles and miles. All I gotta do now is get the power steering worked on, a new sensor in rear differential, and a tuneup and i'm set. Also wanna replace belts and thermostat just for maintenance. I'ts good to hear some of you guys have gotten over 200K miles out of yours, i'm hoping for same!
RKOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #27
Markb873
AF Regular

My mother got 23,000 miles out of an '89(?) Never would start, nobody knew what was wrong. I remember her always having to spray the wiring harness with starting fluid. Seem to recall arking in the wires but it seems absolutly obscure to me now, I was only 7 then though. Then our '91 got about 60,000 miles when the rear main seal went, traded it in in '94. I drove a friends a few years ago and loved the thing, couldn't keep it in a straight line I was having so much fun with the rear wheel drive. Good little Van, still like it.
Markb873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
Fuely
AF Newbie

110,000 on our 89 Aerostar. 3.0 V6 Never had a minutes trouble with the engine. still runs strong. Transmission another story. Original went at 65,000 had it rebuilt, started leaking 2 years later,had it repaired again,lasted another 5 years until front pump blew. Put a junkyard trans in back in 2003 and it still works great.
Fuely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
pennypicher
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to pennypicher

Mine has been sitting since July and it still starts right up. 393,000+- a few. Too bad I have to settle for a used Chevy Astro.
pennypicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
msbabywildchild
AF Newbie

my mom just bought me a '93 XL with 91K miles on it, needs new shocks, ball joint and sway bar link (?) but it runs great...
msbabywildchild is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar