Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Stress Release
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Stress Release Warning: Don't get offended by what's in here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
tenguzero
AF Enthusiast

Changing the spelling of words in the English language? WTF!?

In case anyone isn't aware, there's a new push to have a plethora of words in English changed in respect to their spelling. Through = thru, night = nite, etc. Now, many of us already use shortcuts like these in everyday, non-professional communication, on cell phones, email, and chat programs. But to OFFICIALLY change the spelling of the words to make it "easier" for people learning the language (ie. children and foreigners)? That's just stupid. Something tells me the leading asian countries aren't going to be changing their millenia old ideogrammatic systems of writing to make it easier for outsiders. I don't think Arabic nor Russian script is going to change anytime soon to suit the desires of the international community. Why should American English be any different? As far as the young'uns go, children today are dumb and lazy enough as it is -- we don't need to make it easier on them. I find it hilarious when these media outlets do these stories about how "smart" kids are supposedly becoming, and how good they are at "multitasking". Who gives a shit how well some kid can juggle XBOX, an AIM conversation, and a phone call when they can't even point out Iraq on a goddamn map? (That's right -- a recent study done by National Geographic revealed that 6 in 10 18-24 year old's couldn't correctly locate on a map the country that has claimed four years, hundreds of billions of dollars, and 2,500+ American lives.) I dare say children are only getting DUMBER and MORE LAZY as time goes on. Dew wee need tew start dumming down tha English lainguej as well? Shame on the shitty public school systems, shame on those who practice the new style of generally neglectful parenting that's become so prevalent, and shame on the government for doing what they do best: walking around with their thumbs up their asses on the whole thing.

I can only hope this issue once again gets pushed back into some dark corner, not to resurface for a good long time.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
highteknology
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to highteknology Send a message via MSN to highteknology
Re: Changing the spelling of words in the English language? WTF!?

i read something about it yesterday. i think its one the gayest ideas i have ever heard. maybe if SOME funding was spent on the kids' education rather than somethin else (not goin to mention anything that would lead to thread hijackin or somethin). if you can't pronounce some of the easiest words in the English language then either spend more time practicing, don't talk to me, or go somewhere else and speak your own language.

yes i know that due to some accentes it's hard to pronounce the words correctly and i take that into consideration.

besides, changing the spelling would totally fuck over all the educated people that can spell correctly. it was hard enough reading that one line posted above and trying to decipher what it meant.

stupid. that's all i have to say.
highteknology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

American kids can't point out Iraq? pfft. Oprah did some special that showed high school kids and how fuckin stupid they are (nothin personal to any high school kids here) But these lil bastards couldn't name the 2nd president of the United States (John Adams). Some didn't know the FIRST!!! GEORGE FUCKIN WASHINGTON!!! Some couldn't name the neighbors of the US. We only have 2 And there was a ton of other simple facts kids didn't know. It was sad really. Especially when they showed foreign kids who knew the answers to questions about the US that americans didn't know.

But to change the spelling of words is ridiculous. And how many would they change? There's a million words that are confusing and not changing all of them would only make it harder. Will they change "right" (rite) and leave sight? And what about fight? Would it be fite? Thats way more phoenetically incorrect. Its just stupid.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86

it saddens me to know how the american education system is slowly decaying... and how politicians are only trying to bandage its wounds instead of build up an immunity.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00accord44
Some didn't know the FIRST!!! GEORGE FUCKIN WASHINGTON!!!
And that's what your school teacher told you his name was?

There I was thinking he didn't have a middle name
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
AlbanyCartel
AF Regular

Exactly, children are getting dumber, parents are becoming too lenient, and
teachers are simply, "letting it happen".

In high school I had friends whose parents bought them Xbox games every time they got 75% or higher on test.
I mean, what the fuck is that? 75% is horrible.

They are also getting waaay too lenient when it comes to punishment.
I mean, for elementary and high school, it is your parents duty to push the child to do better. College is up to him, but high school is all on the parents.
Christ, instead of getting a Xbox 360, buy the little dumb-ass a book. Lock his ass up in the basement until he shapes up.

And then there are teachers; again WTF!?
Its the teachers who judge if we are worthy of passing or not. Its on them to decide if we are "qualified" for the field we are to work in.
If the kid can't handle it, fail him and make him do it again. DO NOT ease up on the material, and DO NOT "adjust" the curve. It is up to you to select who will run the country in future.

The repercussions of this may not be seen now, but we will be hurting later on when these dumb-shits begin to enter the work force.

I could go on all day about this, but... meh
AlbanyCartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Steel
AF Fanatic

Dont worry. The ones in school who dont ever shape up turn out to be dumb blue collar workers that live paycheck to paycheck like the slobs i work with. Nothing against bluecollar workers, a lot of them are really nice people, but a LOT of them are dumb as a rock and don't care. But it's their life. That's why i'm going back to college.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

i've never once typed a message text/msn/aim in this "text speak" i always use full english.

i hate the shortenings, sometimes i just can't read them either.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyCartel
I mean, what the fuck is that? 75% is horrible.
Please tell me you either have tests designed for vegetated retards at your said institution, or you are joking. Kids who get 75% in tests are the types I myself would look to employ, as do most other firms/companies. They're in the middle of the scale- on one hand the kids too retarded to do anything with competence and on the other side the A+ kids who are so far up thier ass with Academia that they cannot apply any knowledge without the help of a book or think they are too good to do "grunt work" after graduating. I have put it to the HR department at work that I will not take either on without a shitload of good references.

Kids are retarded either way, I have realised that by the time the iGeneration have power that I'll be dead (Or too old to care)

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
i've never once typed a message text/msn/aim in this "text speak" i always use full english.

i hate the shortenings, sometimes i just can't read them either.
text/msn/aim "text speak" includes the lack of capitalisation in sentences.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
text/msn/aim "text speak" includes the lack of capitalisation in sentences.
I meant shortenings such as "u" and "l8r" among others.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

On reflection, American English is pirated real English in the first place.

'Nuff said.

Could be worse, we could have the next generation dumbing it down further to "Moppie English"

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #13
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
On reflection, American English is pirated real English in the first place.
The emo speaks the truth, i've said it so many times to americans and they don't believe me.

Come to think of it, i've used "ftw" and "wft" a couple of times.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #14
gouldie1903
AF Regular

now here's my plan. instead of an a being 90% make it 85%. and a b 70% ect... this will raise the average gpa making the kids appear to be smarter. problem of dumbing youth solved. (not really)
gouldie1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #15
Nicole8188
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Nicole8188 Send a message via MSN to Nicole8188

I don't do any of that "text speak" crap. Incorrect spelling and grammar really irritates me. And this whole changing the English language really pisses me off...I can go on forever saying the same things everyone else has already said.

I'm going to be an editor, and I really love words and the English language, and this just frustrates me so much. BAAAAHHHH!!!! Fuck lazy children and their stupid, lazy selves....!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Stress Release