Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
ajdesigns
AF Newbie

Can't put gas in my 06 Silverado

Alright, this might sound stupid but I can't pump gas into my Silverado.

Here is all the details, I bought this truck about 2 months ago and my check engine light came on and I received the message, "Tighten the fuel cap" a few times. And took it to Autozone, they hooked it up to their tester and basically told me that was the problem. So, all right, I tighten the fuel cap and the CEL went off for a couple weeks, then it came back on but this time no tighten fuel cap message. (I also noticed that the metal flap that covers the hole to my gas tank wasn't closing so I thought that might be adding to the loose gas cap issue.) So I didn't think anything of it, I just figured it was the gas cap issue again and it would take a couple weeks for the CEL to shut off on its own, but then I started having this gas filling problem.

The past couple weeks when I've gone to 3 different gas stations and try to fill up my truck, the pump automatically kicks off (You know how the pumps do that when your tank is full). I've been filling up when I have a quarter tank of gas, and when I try to pump gas, the pump handle auto kicks off about every 10 seconds or so. I've tried holding the pump at different angles and such and no luck. I can still get gas in there but it's really frustrating to have it kicking off every few seconds.

Any thoughts?
ajdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Mango™
AF Regular

Re: Can't put gas in my 06 Silverado

Can you get a bar and press that flap down. DO not make a spark though. Try taking it to a dealer and might give you a option.
Mango™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

This can occur from a kinked or blocked vent hose causing the fuel to back up in the filler pipe.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdesigns View Post
Alright, this might sound stupid but I can't pump gas into my Silverado.

Here is all the details, I bought this truck about 2 months ago and my check engine light came on and I received the message, "Tighten the fuel cap" a few times. And took it to Autozone, they hooked it up to their tester and basically told me that was the problem. So, all right, I tighten the fuel cap and the CEL went off for a couple weeks, then it came back on but this time no tighten fuel cap message. (I also noticed that the metal flap that covers the hole to my gas tank wasn't closing so I thought that might be adding to the loose gas cap issue.) So I didn't think anything of it, I just figured it was the gas cap issue again and it would take a couple weeks for the CEL to shut off on its own, but then I started having this gas filling problem.

The past couple weeks when I've gone to 3 different gas stations and try to fill up my truck, the pump automatically kicks off (You know how the pumps do that when your tank is full). I've been filling up when I have a quarter tank of gas, and when I try to pump gas, the pump handle auto kicks off about every 10 seconds or so. I've tried holding the pump at different angles and such and no luck. I can still get gas in there but it's really frustrating to have it kicking off every few seconds.

Any thoughts?
usually this is the charcoal carbon canister/vent that is plugged..driving on dusty off roads or over filling the tank and parking the vehicle causes the fuel to expand then plug up these devices that control tank pressure/vacuum...

with the exact code number it is possible to get a better handle on whats up ///dtc 0449 ??
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

Roll over or anti shiphin (sp?) valve is my bet. Somebody tried to steal your gas and either wedged something in there orgot the ball stuck.
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahjdh View Post
Roll over or anti shiphin (sp?) valve is my bet. Somebody tried to steal your gas and either wedged something in there orgot the ball stuck.
the filler pipe has NO ball/VALVES ....the filler pipe is a pipe that has an inner pipe...

when fuel enters the inner pipe vapor exits the larger outer pipe...

the tank when pressure is high must exit at this fill point or threw the charcoal canister...

when the fuel cap is on,, it must exit the cannister 100%...

this is where the exact dtc will determine whats wrong ....this is a common failure with overfilling the fuel tank and then quickly parking in a hot parking area....
Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
ajdesigns
AF Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for adding your replies and sorry it's taken me awhile to get back on here. I took my truck to Autozone and had them run the codes again. Came out P0446 and P0445. So they're telling me the EVAP detected a large leak. Either do to a loose gas cap, which I'm pretty sure I've cranked on that enough to make it tight, or a failed EVAP solenoid. But why would that be causing a problem when I try to fill my tank up? Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdesigns View Post
Hey guys, thanks for adding your replies and sorry it's taken me awhile to get back on here. I took my truck to Autozone and had them run the codes again. Came out P0446 and P0445. So they're telling me the EVAP detected a large leak. Either do to a loose gas cap, which I'm pretty sure I've cranked on that enough to make it tight, or a failed EVAP solenoid. But why would that be causing a problem when I try to fill my tank up? Thanks again for all the feedback.
the code po446 is too much vacuum in the fuel tank.......NOT A LARGE LEAK...Autozone at least got the dtc for you but never use their explainations..

this then is most likelly from overfilling the fuel tank then parking...the charcoal canister is damaged as the charcoal / liquid fuel has fouled the vent solenoid..removal of the canister venting lines inspect for this goo...if found the entire fuel vent/canister must be replaced..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
ajdesigns
AF Newbie

Hey guys, finally got my truck fixed. It was the EVAP solenoid valve. After, reading these posts and talking to a mechanic buddy of mine, I figured that's what it was. So I searched online for the part, found it on a bunch of websites for about $40 and even $17 on one of them.
I called up another guy I know that's a parts guy for a GM dealer to make sure I was looking at the right part and he swore to me up and down that it wasn't. And that valve was about $120-$140 part, so there's no way I could find it that cheap. But I bought it online anyway, figured, if it didn't work I was out $17. No big deal, better than buy it for $140 and find out I got screwed over.
So for the part, and after shipping and handling, buying about a foot and a half of hose and two hose clamps to replace the hose that was attached to the valve it cost about $50 to fix. I'm glad to say, the engine light has been off more than a week and I can put gas in the tank with no problems.
F'ing GM for trying to over charge that much for that one part. Rapists and thieves!
Thanks to all that left posts, j cAT yours especially. You helped get me in the right direction. Take care.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

hopefully this will take care of this issue..thanks for posting your results as this will help others repair / save time and money..

the GM/dealerships charge far too much ,,,if they had a reasonable over charge they would do a greater amount of business...

when you have to go to the dealership as a DIY/private repair shop you know your getting screwed no surprise ...3X or more on prices ..

this is quite a common issue ...fuel tank venting ...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cap , fuel , gas , issue , silverado
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado