Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
bholabhala
AF Newbie

Angry Car shaking at speeds above 70 MPH

I have a huge problem. I cannot go over 70MPH. My steering wheel starts shaking badly. I have tried twice getting wheels balanced, got new brakes, rotor turned, just got a new driver side axle installed and front tires, but all useless. When i go over 70, the whole car starts shaking (Specially steering wheel).

Any advice will be highly appretiated.
bholabhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car shaking at speeds above 70 MPH

give basic vehicle info, pls
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
bholabhala
AF Newbie

Its a 99 Nissan Maxima. 123000 miles. V6 DOHC engine. No ABS brakes.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Try to figure out what exact instance (if) this started. What had happened previous 1k miles?

Wrong axle type? (there are 5 'maxima' types sold which 'fit' but cause problems) ... the passenger side axle worn or its support bearing? Why was the axle changed, not 'normal' at this mileage.

I'd still test-swap tires from rear to front.

Check for worn
- tie rod ends
- all suspension/wheel joints
- after that toe-in

Tranny/Clutch (as any revolving mass) may cause vibration, very rarely. Have u A/T or manual?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

check tire balance and tires for belt shift.. gl
Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
bholabhala
AF Newbie

I am the second owner of the car, and i exactly dont know, what happened to the vehicle prior to me purchasing it. Nothing happened, after i got the vehicle. BUt i must mention a fact here that over the period fo last 6 month, since i had the car, its deteriorating gradually, i.e., the shaking is getting worst and worst. I have checked all tires and wheels. infact i will try to rent new wheels and then post the results of this little experiment here.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

If the shakin is felt only on steerin wheel, swappin tyres from rear to front will correct your problem -if- the problem is in tyres or loose bolts.

Or just try tst-rotatin sparetire to every corner...
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
bholabhala
AF Newbie

OK
I have just put in brand new tires, balance is perfect, and got new axles. The car still shakes. The whole steering wheel shakes left & right instead of clockwise & anticlockwise. Its more like horizontal shaking of steering wheel. Any further suggestions? Someone told me it could be struts.. but i am not sure that struts will cause the whole car to shake like that?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Steerin wheel 'rotational' shake enters from wobblin tyres via steerin mechanism (rods). The up/down shakin is more likely from worn engine supports and/or loose steerin column attacment bolts.

Shocks should/can be tested. They may just break 'any time', but after 60k miles they should be replaced anyways as their dampenin capacity has worn out 90%. When shocks are worn, they wont dampen tires up/down travel, and tires spend more time in air than on the asphalt: brakin will become harder while airborne (!), and the sailor's tires will also patchy-wear from jumpin. If the mileage is 123000 for the shocks, more likely they have already evaporated into the wind... good point is that one never falls asleep while drivin, snow will fall off as the vehicle continues shakin hours after being parked.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Moman
AF Newbie

I have had this shimming problem also since I got my 2003 Maxima brand new off the lot. I had the dealer supposedly swap the rims and tire off of a new Maxima 3 months after I bought my car. It was smooth for a while then it started again. I would have the wheels balanced and it would be okay for a couple of months and then the shimmy would start again. I have tried swapping tires and rims when I rotate to my winter tires + steel rims, but I get the same shimmying problem at around 70 mph constantly recurring. It is annoying. I can't figure it out. Can anyone shed some light on this problem....I have a 2003 Maxima SE with the bridgestone 17" alloys now with under 20,000 miles. (haven't driven it much)

Last edited by Moman; 12-29-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Moman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Moman
AF Newbie

Found a temporary solution to my problem but would like to know of any mechanical defect or fix. What I have done is to do an on car balancing. This balances the whole wheel assembly on the car. It has been a life saver, but the shimmy will occur back again all be it much later that it usually has.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman
Found a temporary solution to my problem but would like to know of any mechanical defect or fix. ...
There must be a structural and/or materiel defect. Have u checked the Nissan TSB's? http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb

Use copper paste on the nuts, threads. Tighten using torque meter. When the problem reappears, measure again the tightness for all nuts. Any change?

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #13
Moman
AF Newbie

I feel it is some mechanical issue but I can't figure it out. I checked the TSB and there is nothing related to this vibration. I'm not sure it is a torque issue either. I have changed tires, straightened alloy wheels, changed wheel to steel wheels for winter and even changed brake pads & rotors. Only thing that worked was an on car balancing. I haven't heard of other Maxima's with this problem. Not sure if it an engine mount, strut or driveshaft/hub issue. I am getting frustrated with trying to find the fix and the car is paid for...don't want to finance all over again. HELP!!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #14
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman
...I have had this shimming problem also since I got my 2003 Maxima brand new off the lot. I had the ... I haven't heard of other Maxima's with this problem. ...
I dont remember where, but once read smbdy complaining just that (I guess it was 2k2 Maxima?). This is 'not your problem', but Nissan's. They must repair it as it happened already under warranty... You must demand that they replace both the whole wheel bearing hub assemblies. (This is why I ask u to check often the nuts and their tightness using torque meter. Any funny/changing readings would be basis of the swap demand. The tool, copper paste, isnt too costly to buy... My guess is that the hub and/or bolts materiel/settings isnt up to specs.)

What u need is legal advice. After getting that, contact Nissan hq and tell your story, then nicely say that youll see with your lawyer that this problem with all related costs will be settled and paid by Nissan. Write all names (ask twice), addresses phone numbers, catalog all the used time and phone costs etc and send them also via e-mail to Nissan = they see its gonna be costly NOT to repair the issue ... The wheel bearing is also safety issue; try www.nhtsa.dot.gov -and- http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
cdc692003
AF Newbie

inspect motor mounts and trans mounts very close
cdc692003 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35