Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 240
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
1993owner240
AF Newbie

240 is leaking oil

the volv is leaking oil. nothing too major. happened a few months ago. bc im only 16 and my dad is no mechanic we were gonna get it fixed by some shop for like $700. the car is worth like $3,000 so it wasn't worth it. well now its leaking a little more. the leak is like almost directly under the engine. i said it was a gasket but the mechanic said it wasn't......wut should i look for? should i really get some mechanic to do this?? any help is appreciated!
1993owner240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
1993owner240
AF Newbie

Re: 240 is leaking oil

nobody??
1993owner240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
RVMAN
AF Newbie

Re: 240 is leaking oil

When you have oil leaks, knowing "where" & "how much" is the key to finding out the problem. You can: (1) check with another mechanic you trust (2) try to narrow down the problem area to help out in the troubleshooting phase of the problem (one dirty but helpful job you can do is to clean up the bottom area of old nasty grease/dirt. Then you can do a daily check and see WHERE the oil is from.) POSSIBLE PROBLEM(S): (1) the oil pan gasket really IS leaking, just like you thought (2) the rear main seal is leaking on the motor(cheap part, but expensive labor costs) (3) The oil plug (and/or it's little gasket) on the pan is bad.(hope this is it..cheap fix) (4) oil filter not sealed/bad/leaking/damaged....(long shot, but possible). Good luck
RVMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 240