Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
patriot777
AF Newbie

Smile 99 Quest Valve Cover Gasket Help

I have a '99 Mercury Villager (same as the Quest) and the top of the engine surrounding the oil cap is leaking oil towards the front of the car. I assume thats called the valve cover and I assume the leak is from the valve cover gaskets?

Is this a pretty straightforward repair? I assume I just remove the screws and it will come off? It looks like there might be a tricky screw by the distributor? Has anyone done this before....any problems I need to be aware of?

Also, whats the difference between a valve cover gasket and a valve cover gasket with grommets? Where do the grommets go?

Thanks tons in advance for everyone willing to help me out!
patriot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Quest Valve Cover Gasket Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot777 View Post
I have a '99 Mercury Villager (same as the Quest) and the top of the engine surrounding the oil cap is leaking oil towards the front of the car. I assume thats called the valve cover and I assume the leak is from the valve cover gaskets?

Is this a pretty straightforward repair? I assume I just remove the screws and it will come off? It looks like there might be a tricky screw by the distributor? Has anyone done this before....any problems I need to be aware of?

Also, whats the difference between a valve cover gasket and a valve cover gasket with grommets? Where do the grommets go?

Thanks tons in advance for everyone willing to help me out!
Have you by chance checked to make sure the bolts are not just loose????

I have not done this on this vehicle to date but should be straight forward like you say. I will look at my 99 later but the front cover is usually quite simple as the rear is a different story. The rear cover You need to remove the upper plenium to gain access to the cover.

Here is the procedure to remove valve cover (rocker arm cover) from the autozone.com repair info site. Free just need to register.

left side (front)
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor electrical connector, located at the end of the rocker arm cover. Unclip the connector from the cover.
  3. Disconnect the breather hose from the rocker arm cover.
  4. Remove the nine rocker arm cover screws.
  5. Remove the rocker arm cover and gasket. Discard the old gasket. It may be necessary to tap the cover with a rubber mallet to break the seal with the cylinder head.

To install:
  1. Clean the rocker arm cover and cylinder head gasket surfaces. A gasket scraper and solvent may be used, however, be careful not to nick or gouge either surface.
  2. Attach the new gasket to the rocker arm cover.
  3. Position the rocker arm cover on the cylinder head and install the screws.
  4. Tighten the screws to 9-26 inch lbs. (1-3 Nm).
  5. Install the breather hose and heated oxygen sensor connector.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Check the engine oil level. Run the engine and check for leaks.
NOTICE THAT THE TORQUE SPECS SAYS INCH POUNDS NOT FOOT POUNDS.

Here is a link with the valve cover gasket available with and without the grommets: GROMMETS go on the bolts themselves that hold the valve cover in place.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ger&vi=1356588

Here is a link for the FSM:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Scoll down to QUEST, click on it, choose year then go to section EM.pdf, page 26. SHows a pic of valve cover gasket and bolts with the grommet and washer.

Hope this helps
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
patriot777
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for all the info. So the grommets go under the top of the bolt but over the valve cover? I'm assuming it wouldn't go under the valve cover where the gasket material is but this is my first time doing this type of job so I just want to make sure. Thanks for the help!

Also, do you have links to online service manual for GM cars such as a 99 Regal? That FSM is very helpful!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot777 View Post
Hey thanks for all the info. So the grommets go under the top of the bolt but over the valve cover? I'm assuming it wouldn't go under the valve cover where the gasket material is but this is my first time doing this type of job so I just want to make sure. Thanks for the help!

Also, do you have links to online service manual for GM cars such as a 99 Regal? That FSM is very helpful!

Online service manual like chilton and haynes can be found on
www.autozone.com you just need to register for free.

Check with your local library to see if they have EBSCOHHOST with the Auto Repair Reference Center, all youn would need is your library card membership number.

Alldat and Mitchell1 are available for each car for a subscription fee.

Sorry I do not know of any Free FSM online for GM. Check with the Buick Regal forum here on automotive forums, but check out this link it may interest you.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...ce-manual-auto
Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
patriot777
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 99 Quest Valve Cover Gasket Help

So I did the project quite quickly within about 1 hour. I had no trouble getting the screws out. The little grommets that come with the kit actaully do sit under screw head but on top of the valve cover. They were very durable so I put the originals back in. The gasket itself takes a small amount of tampering to get it to sit properly so make sure to have it in perfect before placing it back on the engine. There was hose that runs into the top of the valve cover....possibly called a breather hose? I had to cut it off because it was seized on there. I then cut a new hose to lenght and there were no other issues. One of the easiest projects i have done so far. Thanks much for the help.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Great, glad it all worked out for you.