Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
stprasinz
AF Newbie

remote mount turbo na header

I was wondering if anybody here has ever done or seen done a remote mount turbo kit?
I am thinking of buying a set of headers for an na (16 gauge) (1 5/8) (2 1/2 collector), and doing a remote mount turbo....
I know more lag due to larger exhaust section before turbo to pressurize and larger intake tubing to pressurize creating more lag... But how much more lag??? how about performance gains?
Right now I seem to have no lag in the power area just under 24-2700 little to no boost (5th builds boost at about 2200 and full by 3100..... no no bad don't run 5th gear at low r's under boost lol)
anyway just as usual throwing ideas around......
Also this would allow easy use of external gate.... turbo should stay cooler since farther down exhaust steam...
wrapped header gives it that na look lol... no theres no turbo under there... $100 says Ill tear you up down the strip though......

Also on the note of 5th gear pulls Ive done it once.... at 2500 I floored it after about 3-5 seconds you could here the boost... you heard my buddy floor his 240 at this point then he downshifted to 4th then to 3rd..... by then I was at about 15 psi and he couldn't over come it.... lol 5th gear no downshift and still pulled on his 4 banger lol.... (already mentioned the sr20det w/ turbonetics t3t4)......

So back to the remote mount any advice....... what about lag calculations.... It will probably add about 3' of 2.5" pipe and 1.5' of 2.75"..... Would the increase in exhaust flow and decrease in heat make up for the lag increase(in opinions) ?
also this wouldbe the first remote mount in my area so it would be an epic mile stone for me and my crew... wait no one and I mean no one touches the mechanics of my car but me.... so I guess it would be a accomplishment for me and myself...........

boy I sure love long posts.... are they atleast interesting though????
stprasinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
CronuSurtr
AF Newbie

Re: remote mount turbo na header

it'd be interesting... to sat the least... i cant remember the show... but the stapped TT's to a Vet by the muffler, and the pressure drop was noticable, but because the air traveled such a long distance below the car, no intercooler was needed because the air was cooled so well... but yeah... i mean it'd deffenitly give you that killer NA look i'm sure. And they didn't seem to have much if any lag because it dodn't have an intercooler to force the air through.

If you do it let me know, it'd be something cool to see :-D Vaya con dios!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: remote mount turbo na header

call STS and see what they have to say.

it's a lot of extra piping, especially if you're running an air to air ic as well.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)