Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
chilidogg94
AF Newbie

Bel Air

I apologize that this is probably the wrong forum, its my first time posting here and I wasn't sure where else this would even fit in.

I'm looking to do a project with my dad fixing up an old car, and I've been looking at an old Bel Air thats for sale near were I live. I don't know anything about the car yet since me and my dad just started thinking about this project today. I have seen the car and its in pretty rough shape (rusted and dented, and I'm not sure if it even runs), I'm assuming the interior is just as bad as the exterior.

Here's the thing, neither me or my dad have ever tried to fix up an old car, or know anything about it. Is there any advice you could give us, or any books/websites we should read?

I would also like to hear what you guys would do when it comes to interior, exterior, sound, etc. By that I mean what colors, materials, or brands you would use. If anyone lives in the Charlotte area do you know any shops that I could go to for help on this project?

Thanks in advance everyone

EDIT: I talked to one of my dads friends that did body work Rusty Wallace, and he said he might be interested in helping me out on the body work for the car.

Last edited by chilidogg94; 06-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.
chilidogg94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Bel Air

I'll move this to the Chevrolet Classics forum as there is more traffic here and a lot of members who can answer your questions and guide you along with info about this car. Welcome to AF !

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
chilidogg94
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner View Post
I'll move this to the Chevrolet Classics forum as there is more traffic here and a lot of members who can answer your questions and guide you along with info about this car. Welcome to AF !
thanks man, I really want to do this project, but I know nothing and I'm hoping this forum can at least help me get started
chilidogg94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Some Bel Airs are cool cars, others are "plane janes". It depends on the year. Pre-58, Bel Air was the "high end" Chevy. In '58, Impala took that spot.

I would avoid the '58-'64 cars if they're badly rusted. Those have the infamous "X" frame and are notorious for rusting out. While a couple years of those are quite pretty, none of them are very "good" cars. Pontiac AND Olds "opted out" of the X-frame deal after '58.

It depends on your final goals, which year and model is best suited. I would advise against buying something "less" than what you're really after, because "settling" for something makes for a project that becomes more "work" than "play". If you REALLY want a "Bel Air", fine, but don't get that one just because. If it's the year and style (2-door, 4-door, wagon?) you want, and you feel you can fix the rust, etc., go for it! If not ALL of the above, keep looking. You'll be much happier if you get what you want, rather than just what's easy to find.

If and when you DO find the "one", let us know and we'll steer you to the right parts, places, etc.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

A couple of other points....... almost all the time, restoring a car will cost you more than the car is worth at the end. Most of us restore a car for enjoyment anyways so this does not matter. However, you can limit your losses by buying the best condition car you can afford.

I do not mean buying a near - perfect car, but I mean avoid the true wrecks; the dented rust buckets with the seized engine and mouse - condo interiors that simply need everything. Such cars will cost big $$$ to complete.

Often the difference in price of a total wreck and good, solid restoration candidate may just be a few hundred dollars, but the solid car will in the end cost thousands less to restore.

Remember, good paint and bodywork cost far more to do properly than most mechanical work. Rebuilding an engine and brakes is far easier and cheaper than straighening bodywork, fixing rust and painting. So, when you look at a car, keep in mind that some problems are far more difficult to fix than others.

Make sure the car is complete. Often, seemingly minor missing trim or interior pieces can be difficult to replace.

Note that popular Fords and Chevies usually have much more available parts than other cars like some Buicks, AMC and Chrysler products. However, those less popular brands may well be worth less, so a really good example may be more affordable.

Consider getting a parts car. Depending on what your project needs, often you can pick up a rust-bucket parts car for a few bucks which can donate many useful trim pieces, mechanical bits, glass panels etc.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
goodoldpapa
AF Regular

I used to have a 1956 that was my grandfathers. When my dad & I were working on it, our goal was to keep as close to original as possible. I have a few pics of it but no way to scan them to put on computer. Except for engine ,tranny, and painting we did it ourselves. When dad got it in 74, only paid $75 for it. Main issue at that time was tranny slipping.
goodoldpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
clean62
AF Newbie

I just went through the same issue you are having. The best advise I can give you is if you look at any car that is missing magor part motor,eletrical bits and peices call your chain parts store and see if they are on the shelf. This will give you an idea for the problem you might encounter with car. I looked for years before buying a 1962 Bel Air. I am one of those guys that lucked out on craigslist. I picked it up for 4200. New 350 motor and trans. rust-free.
Don't get me wrong what I could do to a Gremlin would be sick. I still have a issue of wanting to build up a 51 Caddie but I don't have any rich uncles that are gong to die and leave me that kind of money.
Good luck and be patient it will come your way soon enough.
clean62 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics