Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
volumes2001
AF Newbie

Got any tips for getting better gas mileage?

I'm currently working on a page about the many simple things that drivers can do in order to improve their gas mileage: http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Get_Better_Gas_Mileage
I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum and maybe some suggestions of tips or advice that I may have missed in my research.
Thanks in advance for the help!
volumes2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Got any tips for getting better gas mileage?

Welcome to AF !
Pretty much everything I thought of or practice was covered in your page. Ido however take a small issue with two parts. I've copied and pasted here:
Avoid Using Air Conditioning: Having your air conditioning on causes your engine to use more fuel than driving without it on. So, unless you absolutely need it (people who live in extremely hot climates are exempt from this), try to keep your air conditioning use to a minimum.
Keep Your Windows Closed: Having your windows rolled down can greatly increase wind drag on your car - making your engine work harder to keep you at the same speed (and of course reducing fuel efficiency). Just like air conditioning, only keep your windows down if necessary.
Don't the two contradict each other? Today's modern cars are designed so that running the a/c does not greatly affect gas mileage as it once did. I remember reading a study a couple of years ago that stated it is better to run the a/c than it is to drive at highway speeds with the windows down.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

For calculating the gas mileage, I would add to fill up at the same pump when possible. All pumps have slightly different shut-off points, plus the angle the car sits on makes a big difference. I'm not sure about the amount in cars, but large trucks (ryder, u-haul, etc 24' box) will hold 5 gallons more if the filler is uphill.

Coasting to stop lights helps a lot, rather than driving the speed limit up to where you hit the brakes. An additional benefit of this is sometimes you don't get to a complete stop before the light changes. That uses less gas because you don't have to accelerate up to the speed you were going.

Having the fuel and air intake systems cleaned can make a difference too.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
volumes2001
AF Newbie

Good point '97ventureowner. I actually was thinking about not including that section at all. While it may save a small amount of gas, I'm not sure that it is really worth the discomfort of not being able to use the air conditioning or rolling your windows down. Do you have any idea of which study you are referring too?
volumes2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
aceton marty
AF Newbie

Here are other things you can do.3 oz per 10 US gallons pure 99.6% acetone with 3to4 oz xylene,1 oz amsoil 100 to 1 -2 stroke oil,1oz meglene gas additive add to tank when filling.Make yorself pcv cleaner from campell hausfield compressor filter put in line between pcv and intake removes water and sludge from crankcase allowing only unburnt hydrocarbon gases to enter intake. Modify NGK v groove sparkplugs go to www.brightgreen.us click on sparkplugs while you are there check out the fuel pre heaters this will also increase fuel economy especially in winter. Install a set of kiker performance sparkplug wires www.kikerperformance.com In winter use a warm air intake as this will make the mass air flow sensor think it is a nice summer day and will not richin the crap out of your injectors. Install a scangauge this will take out all the guess work of wether you are getting better gas mileage or not, you can see real time fuel consumption as its happening not waiting two weeks to fill your tank again to see if your modifications work. Next oil change switch to Amsoil 0w30 synthetic in the motor and amsoil in running gear as well. All the other tips mentioned are excellent- this will take you to the next step.I drive a 2000 ford focus zetec 4 door grocery getter actually its my wifes car, i religously kept records of fuel consumption on trips on holidays and in town our car averaged 35 to 38 mpg on the hwy. With only the fuel additives, oil change and pcv cleaner on a trip today on same hwy i travelled many times my scangauge showed average for trip 50.5 mpg a 12 to 15 mpg increase and car has never ran so smooth.With other mods going on soon i hope to exceed 60+ mpg. Give them a try do the research your selves most of my friends have done the same and showing same results your wallet will be much fatter.

Last edited by aceton marty; 03-16-2008 at 10:06 AM.
aceton marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
grandprixgtx00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grandprixgtx00

i also have an issue.

it says turn your car off whenever possible and avoid idleing...

i was always under the impression that starting your car takes more fuel than just letting it idle, like in your example...idleing in a drive-thru, or waiting to go in a car wash...i would just let my car idle since it takes more fuel to start the car back up

idk, i may be wrong though??

grandprixgtx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

There's a point where it becomes better to shut the car off. The reason that it is better to leave the car running for short stops is that the computer has what is called "open" and "closed" loop modes. When in open loop, the computer goes by a "lookup table" to deliver fuel. Once in closed loop, it uses sensor data to control fuel delevery. One condition for going to closed loop is a timer that starts when the engine is started. If you start driving again, it goes off the lookup tables for a certain amount of time. This uses more fuel than going off sensor readings. If there is a line of 15 cars in front of you, then it will be better to shut the car off. It doesn't use more fuel each time you start the car, just until the timer reaches 0.

Better yet, park your car, get out, and go inside to order.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumes2001
Good point '97ventureowner. I actually was thinking about not including that section at all. While it may save a small amount of gas, I'm not sure that it is really worth the discomfort of not being able to use the air conditioning or rolling your windows down. Do you have any idea of which study you are referring too?
I remember seeing reports over the past decade or so but don't have any links to them. You also hear it all the time on tv as well when the discussion comes up. Here is a quote and a link to the site it is found on:
"Driving on the highway with their windows down to avoid using the air conditioner. We’ve become accustomed to thinking that our car’s AC is the biggest drain on our car’s gas mileage. While using it will reduce your gas mileage, there are many instances where using your AC instead of rolling down the windows will actually be better for your car’s gas mileage. One of the biggest drains on your car’s gas mileage is aerodynamic drag - something that is exacerbated by rolling down the windows. If you’re going to drive on the highway, go ahead and turn on your AC and keep the windows up!"
Link to full article:http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/c...ure-saving-it/
Found this one too:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...indows_down.22 (scroll down to "AC versus windows down area.) According to that one you may get better mileage with the windows down at speeds of 45 mph or lessthan at 55 mph, less drag at slower speeds.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
200sx power
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ri
There's a point where it becomes better to shut the car off. The reason that it is better to leave the car running for short stops is that the computer has what is called "open" and "closed" loop modes. When in open loop, the computer goes by a "lookup table" to deliver fuel. Once in closed loop, it uses sensor data to control fuel delevery. One condition for going to closed loop is a timer that starts when the engine is started. If you start driving again, it goes off the lookup tables for a certain amount of time. This uses more fuel than going off sensor readings. If there is a line of 15 cars in front of you, then it will be better to shut the car off. It doesn't use more fuel each time you start the car, just until the timer reaches 0.

Better yet, park your car, get out, and go inside to order.
drive-throughs absolutely kill my gas mileage.
200sx power is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General