Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
99Tacoma_Austin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 99Tacoma_Austin Send a message via Yahoo to 99Tacoma_Austin
Talking 2006 Tacoma - first 4 months impressions

Don't get me wrong, I love this truck. I had a 99 Tacoma and switched to the 06 after great deliberation.Anyway, having had this truck a few months now I have a few impressions I'd like to share. Most of these are more geared toward design flaws in the comfort and placements because I have yet to experience any engine or electrical deficiencies.

First off I have a 2006 4dr TRD Tacoma V6.
  • The locking rear diff switch is dangerously close to the off-road lights switch
  • The rear seats head rests block about 75% of the view in the rear windows, if your not used to this it's a huge pain in the ass and I simply took mine out until I can find some head rests that aren't solid.(If anyone has a handy link let me know)
  • The fabric used in the seats is by far the worst material I have ever experienced in a vehicle, simply placing a moist grocery bag on the back seat stained it and I can get it out. I tried to get leather but I didn't want to wait...my error. Plus the mesh used in the 'sport' style seating is simply a magnet for anything small to gather in as well as pet hair, cleaning these is impossible. I'm looking for a place to replace recover the seats with leather
  • no MP3 jack...come on...this is a 2006 model!!! Every vehicle over $15k should have one of these since lower end vehicles do!
  • Speaking of the radio, if I pay $24k it better damn well tell me what song is playing from my iPOD!
  • Rear view mirror placement obscures some of the front view...it should be higher on the window or connected to the over the head console

All in all this truck is one of the best, much superior to the American trucks. I went to the 2006 Houston Auto Show and poor Chevy was still using the same sad interiors they have for the past 20 years. besides the few annoyances above I love it.

2006 Tacoma Dbl Cab/TRD

99Tacoma_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Re: 2006 Tacoma - first 4 months impressions

I like the interior on my 02 Silverado. That is the main reason I got it over the other full sizes. There is nothing like driving a living room sofa with power everything, and the steering wheel is leather not plastic. Though I do like the Tacoma rain gutter floor mats.

Don't sweat the diff lock switch. Unless you have done the gray wire mod it will not engage unless you are under 5 MPH and in 4lo. They made the truck smarter than you.

Most of the view you lost out the back would just be looking into the bed.

I would also like to point out that Toyota USA is an American manufacturer. The trucks are all designed and built in the US for the US market along with most of the US line.

I am not really a fan of the new Tacoma. I think it is way too big. I parked my ex cab Silverado next to a d-cab 05 Tacoma and they are nearly the same size. I wish they had kept it a true mid size rather than a damn near full size.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Tacomatic
AF Newbie

I have the 2007 Tacoma ( Access Cab) and yeah it is larger than the 98 i used to have,but no way is it close to a full size Chevy,at least the Chevies they grow down here in Texas
Tacomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomatic
I have the 2007 Tacoma ( Access Cab) and yeah it is larger than the 98 i used to have,but no way is it close to a full size Chevy,at least the Chevies they grow down here in Texas
Only 18 inches shorter and about 6 inches narrower than my Silverado. They are just short of full size, and a hell of a lot bigger than my 97.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
badboy916
AF Newbie

a 4 door truck is like having a 4 door sports car...what were these truck makers thinking
badboy916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
quickywd01
AF Regular

An M5 has 4 doors. The new tacoma is too big and I'd rather have a shifter for the transfer case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy916
a 4 door truck is like having a 4 door sports car...what were these truck makers thinking

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma