Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #31
ypelchat
AF Newbie

I recently installed an overhead console with DIC. It was an easy mod to do, and the console works perfectly. The overhead console was purchased on E-bay, from a U.S seller, and I assume it was pulled off a U.S wrecked vehicle.

The DIC has a "L/100Km, and MPG setting. The MPG setting of this console, probably use 3.78L (1 U.S gallon) as the basis for calculation, because it's a U.S console.

I was wondering if the Canadian version of the overhead console, uses the 4.54L (1 Imperial gallon or Canadian gallon) to perform the calculation, of if they all use 3.78L, regardless of the country in which they'll be used?

Yves.

Last edited by ypelchat; 08-11-2005 at 10:24 PM.
ypelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #32
redly1
AF Regular

Re: Overhead console

Yves...good question. Makes me wonder...My van was originally sold in Quebec, and imported to the states at about 17K miles. I've got a DIC I bought off ebay from Oklahoma.
redly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #33
98venture100
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
I guess I didn't take a wide enough picture of where the "extension connector" was (the violet colored one on this page).

I believe if you trace the wires from in front of the radiator, you will find that connector between the battery and the front of the windshield washer fluid tank - right at the bottom. It was kind of a pain to find it the first time.

If you have both halves of that connector (to the radiator and toward the inside), I would assume the wiring is there (up in the headliner). Keep looking and feeling around.

Also, when I did mine, I said the DIC connector was taped down to the headliner. What I didn't say is that it was REALLY TAPED DOWN. I had my hand in there for a good 2 or 3 minutes trying to get it loose from the headliner. I finally had to use a long screwdriver to "gently" pry the tape loose.

Let us know how it goes,

Sorry for the late response, I checked for both connectors and only found one near the windshield tank, which is probably to the radiator.
Oh well, leave it to GM for being cheap and not putting the harness there. I guess because it was a newer model at that time, they didn't think of putting the harness there, so later on someone can add a DIC, like me. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...cons/icon9.gif
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...s/icon9.gifThe next thing I was going to try was to run wires to the connector for the DIC. I still have the harness from the van it came out of. I just need to find a wiring diagram for a 98 venture.
98venture100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:10 AM   #34
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98venture100
Sorry for the late response, I checked for both connectors and only found one near the windshield tank, which is probably to the radiator.
Oh well, leave it to GM for being cheap and not putting the harness there. I guess because it was a newer model at that time, they didn't think of putting the harness there, so later on someone can add a DIC, like me. The next thing I was going to try was to run wires to the connector for the DIC. I still have the harness from the van it came out of. I just need to find a wiring diagram for a 98 venture.
What was the color of the connector AND was it the one with the MALE or FEMALE contacts? Mine had the FEMALE contacts.

I will see if I can get a diagram from the '98 Venture, but I thought the '97 through 2004 were pretty much the same. I'll let you know if I find the diagram.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #35
GregA
AF Enthusiast

98venture100,

I sent you a PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #36
98venture100
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
What was the color of the connector AND was it the one with the MALE or FEMALE contacts? Mine had the FEMALE contacts.

I will see if I can get a diagram from the '98 Venture, but I thought the '97 through 2004 were pretty much the same. I'll let you know if I find the diagram.

Take Care,

It's a black female connector with a red clip in the back,probably to hold down the wires. It came out of a 97 Transport. It has 9 wires coming out of it. yellow, black, green, light green/black, gray, gray/black, yellow, orange and light brown. There were some other unused connectors in the console area of my van, I followed a diagram I had,( I think it was from this thread), and was able to get the DIC to power up. I believe it was the orange and yellow. Some of the wiring colors were different from the diagram I had.
I also connected the temp. sensor directly to the connector using alligator clips. The temp came on the display, but only temporarily and it then it would go blank with the dashes.. The compass didn't work either, it had the E displayed. I tried to calibrate it, I did the turning in circles bit and also set the region, but that didn't work. I figured maybe because all the wires weren't connected is why it's not working, either that or the DIC is not working. I tried searching the web for a different diagram, maybe the Pontiac's wiring is different from Chevy's, it shouldn't be though, they're the same van, different name.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:09 AM   #37
98venture100
AF Newbie

GregA, thanks I got the diagram.
Some of the wires, like the orange and yellow were already on some other small connectors, I cut those out and used those wires and powered up the DIC.

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #38
03 Montana
AF Newbie

I have the same problem as 98 Venture I can't get my DIC to work properly. The compass will not calibrate and the temp and fuel does not work. The temp works for about 30 seconds when the vehice is first started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle is a 2003 pontiac Montana. The connector for the DIC was taped in the headliner.
03 Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #39
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Montana
I have the same problem as 98 Venture I can't get my DIC to work properly. The compass will not calibrate and the temp and fuel does not work. The temp works for about 30 seconds when the vehice is first started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle is a 2003 pontiac Montana. The connector for the DIC was taped in the headliner.
Your DIC is probably defective. Unless there's a defect somewhere in the main wiring harness of the DIC.

However, before you trash the console, I would try unplugging/plugging the DIC connector several times, to make sure there's no oxydation on the DIC contacts. There's good chance it will be OK after that. Make sure there's no remnants of glue left by the headliner tape on the contacts.

Usually, installing a overhead console it a matter of plug'n play. It should work immediately. As for the compass calibration, make sure to select the proper location code, as it is very important. Sometimes, the compass go out of sync and displays a C. When it happens, i do 2 or 3 360 slow turns, then the compass readjust itself.

Let me know if it works.

Yves.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #40
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypelchat
Sometimes, the compass go out of sync and displays a C. When it happens, i do 2 or 3 360 slow turns, then the compass readjust itself.
Be sure not to be around overhead high voltage power lines or large metal structures. Both of which can throw off the calibration.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #41
catesja
AF Regular

I looked into the headliner area of my 00 Montana and found a connector that has the following wires:
Yellow
Orange
Gray w/Black
Gray
Black
Brown
I think that was the order they were in on the connector. The connector has a red sleeve on it also if that matters.
Is this the connector that goes to the DIC? I found it taped to the headliner over the passenger seat. There was also a shorter set of wires (2) that I could only touch and not pull out far enough to see. Not sure what those are for.

I would like to mod and add the DIC console to my van if I can.
The van came standard with the Dome light override, and the power rear vent windows. So those are the only switches in it right now. I also noticed that my Montana has the console clipped into the hole and not screwed in. It has lock washers on the top side that have to be clipped, it looks like, to pull it out of the van.

Any help would be great!

Jeff
catesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #42
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catesja
I looked into the headliner area of my 00 Montana and found a connector that has the following wires:
Yellow
Orange
Gray w/Black
Gray
Black
Brown
I think that was the order they were in on the connector. The connector has a red sleeve on it also if that matters.
Is this the connector that goes to the DIC? I found it taped to the headliner over the passenger seat. There was also a shorter set of wires (2) that I could only touch and not pull out far enough to see. Not sure what those are for.

I would like to mod and add the DIC console to my van if I can.
The van came standard with the Dome light override, and the power rear vent windows. So those are the only switches in it right now. I also noticed that my Montana has the console clipped into the hole and not screwed in. It has lock washers on the top side that have to be clipped, it looks like, to pull it out of the van.

Any help would be great!

Jeff
Hello;

Yup! that's the connector you need. Just plug this connector into the DIC socket, and you'll be in business!

The mod itself will depend on the type of console you'll be able to find on E-bay, or somewhere else. The overhead console components are attached to the console with torx screws(the DIC and the reading lights. The switch assembly is attached to the console by means of plastic tabs). You may choose to retain the switches you already have in your vehicle, and put them into the new console, or you may choose to keep the new console switch assembly, even if it has features you dont have in your vehicle. The switch assembly will fit, since each of the blue and black connector wires have the same position, regardless of the equipment present in the vehicle. If you choose to retain your own switch assembly, you'll need a small flat screwdriver to pry out the old switch assembly out of the console (look for the corner plastic tabs), and then, you put back yours by pressing it into place.

After that, you'll have to look into the temperature sensor mod, if you want the temperature to be displayed. If you dont do the temperature sensor mod, the temperature displayed by the DIC will be 0c.

I suggest you to read every post in this thread, plus click on the links provided by GregA. He took a lot of pictures of the mod, so you'll have a good idea on how to do the mod. The mod is easy to do.

Good luck.

Yves.

Last edited by ypelchat; 09-30-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #43
catesja
AF Regular

Thanks, I have read all the posts in this thread and have bookmarked the website with the mod and temp sensor addition. I think I will try both. So far I haven't found a console on ebay, must be a lot of people doing this!, but I keep an eye open. I am also going to check my local wrecking yards.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff
catesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #44
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by catesja
Thanks, I have read all the posts in this thread and have bookmarked the website with the mod and temp sensor addition. I think I will try both. So far I haven't found a console on ebay, must be a lot of people doing this!, but I keep an eye open. I am also going to check my local wrecking yards.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff
Jeff,

I just saw a few consoles on eBay. Just put 'venture console' into the search box and you will find them. Pretty good deals too.

Take Care,
Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #45
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
I just saw a few consoles on eBay. Just put 'venture console' into the search box and you will find them. Pretty good deals too.
I thought the same thing too, but then I checked his profile. He has a 2000 Montana. The Montanas have the darker tan interior as compared to the lighter tan that the Ventures and Silhouettes have.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture