Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #151
kashnburn
AF Newbie

Re: INTAKE GASKET MAIN PAGE, PLEASE POST Q'S&A'S HERE!

Sounds like a blown head gasket but I could be wrong. Perform a block test (Napa Auto has the kit or a dealership, local auto garage) to see if you have combustion gases in your coolant. If you do then I would say that you have a blown head gasket or a cracked head.
kashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #152
phipps
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashnburn
Sounds like a blown head gasket but I could be wrong. Perform a block test (Napa Auto has the kit or a dealership, local auto garage) to see if you have combustion gases in your coolant. If you do then I would say that you have a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

I was afraid you were gonna say that......
phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #153
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Overheating is the number one cause of blown head gaskets and cracked heads and never keep driving it overheated again and again hoping you will eventually find the problem because time is of the essence and the odds are stacked against you for escalating the problem big time. What begins as a relatively inexpensive problem turns into replacing head gaskets and cracked heads and then you have a BIG repair bill.

It overheats ONE time, repeat, ONE time, and you can not immediately find out why then, for goodness sakes, take it to a pro so they can fix it because in the long run they will probably save you lots of money.
Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #154
phipps
AF Regular

It overheated and I stopped driving it and we trailered it home. I was thinking that maybe it was the IMG, but a couple of replies in this thread seem to indicate otherwise. If it's the IMG, I think my BIL and I could do it, but if it's the head, well that's another story.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #155
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

"It overheated and I stopped driving it and we trailered it home."
They already told you what to do and if you can find a pressure pump you can pressure test it your self and do the exhaust gas check, but you'll need some of the coolant that was in it when it overheated.

Use a pump to put pressure on it and test the cooling system and look for the external IMG leak. If it's internal leaking in the oil you won't see it but will have frothy or a milkshake looking oil. Water in oil is easy to detect. If necessary drain the oil and look for water droplets in it.

Get the test kit from a parts house and put the chemical it in the coolant and if it reveals exhaust gases in the coolant you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. USUALLY the head gasket blows before the head cracks, so cross your fingers all you have is a leaky IMG. Fel Pro now makes a IMG that does not deterroriate and should last for the life of the engine. If you can't find the problem I suggest trailering it to the shop.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #156
phipps
AF Regular

Thanks for the replies!! I'll have to go look for the test kit. I've got a friend that I believe has the equipment to pressure test the system.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #157
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Take some old coolant and use to test for headgasket and cracked head.
Than fill it up before you pressure test it. The system holds 16 PSI so don't overdo it and blow up the radiator.

Put the pressure on it and be patient. You might have to get under the engine and look for the drip then follow it to it's source. A weed blower works good for getting the engine good and dry. Use a flash light and take a close all around the heads and the intake manifold.

"It overheated and I stopped driving it and we trailered it home."
Good for you and that probably prevented more problems so I'd suspect the IMG is leaking. I put Bar's Leak in mine and it held for a long time and if I had it to do again I'd keep dumping Bar's Leak in it and trade it off instead of fixing the IMG to the tune of $750. http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=16
Old 09-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #158
phipps
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huney1
I put Bar's Leak in mine and it held for a long time and if I had it to do again I'd keep dumping Bar's Leak in it and trade it off instead of fixing the IMG to the tune of $750. http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?id=16

I was wondering if that would work as I looked at the stuff at Wal Mart last night!!

Should I get the aluminum powder stuff or the pelletized one?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #159
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

I got the original and it is suppose to seal blown head gaskets and cracked heads to. Anyplace there's a water leak INTO something it has tiny particles that collect around the hole and eventually close it off.

You MUST remove all the anti freeze and while it's working use only plain water in the system. Do exactly what the instructions say and I swear it stopped mine up real good. After it stops leaking drive 500 miles or so then put the anti freeze badck in and another bottle of Bars leak and you're good to go. Some fiolks say it will stop up the heater core but it never did mine and I had two bottles in it.

Look for the Original Bars leak, I used one of those and one with the aluminum particles in it. Heck, hell'ava lot cheaper than having the IMG replaced. Most parts stores have Origianl bars leak so if Wally World doesn't have it look around. I thought about and I said, what the heck, for five bucks or so it's worth a try. Stopped that sucker up good and I traded it off for a Ford Taurus.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #160
phipps
AF Regular

Well, the Bars Leak didn't work. It is getting so much water into the engine that it was literally collecting in the muffler and draining out of the drain hole. I fear that I have something major going on here.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #161
nonenino
AF Newbie

hello to you all, I've read most of your posts and I realize this task of replacing the intake gasket/head gasket is beyond my mechanic abilities, I'm going to get a quote on how much will it cost to replace the gasket on my wife's 98 chevy venture. It has 130k miles and is paid off, I'm wondering, once the problem is solved, should the engine be ok to run, let's say an extra 50k miles without having the same problem again? I'm just trying to figure out if its worth fixing and investing the $ vs. getting into a new car($$ouch!) any thoughts on anyone who's been through this coolant into oil problem and kept the venture to tell the tale? Thanks for your time guys, God bless!
nonenino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #162
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Nonenino: FelPro came out with a gasket that does not rot so make damn sure they use a new type FelPro gasket and the new intake manifold bolts with LocTite on them and you should never have that same problem again ever. I think the average price for the job runs around $750. so use that as a guide.

130K miles on that engine is not not that bad and it should easy run 250K miles IF you take good care of it. Make sure the transmission gets a flush and new fluid and don't wait until it has problems to service it. Depending on driving conditions, change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles, air filter every 15K miles and follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and you should be good to go.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #163
nonenino
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I've talked to a couple of friends who know more of mechanics, and they tell me I probably have cracked heads as there is dex-cool in the oil(dipstick showing that red-brown sludge). The engine doesn't sound, no spill on the floor, temperature gauge goes to the middle, but not further. A mechanic who was reccomended told me I was probably looking at $1200 repair. Does that sound reasonable?
nonenino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #164
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

You *PROBABLY* have cracked heads? Noone will know FOR SURE until they get into it and have the heads magnafluxed and checked for cracks but if that is the case you will need new heads because they can't be repaired. No idea how much they are but I'd try and get them from a salvage yard rather than buy brand new.

If you don't know much about cars then you're at the mercy of your mechanic so chose a good one with a good reputation. Ask around at the local parts stores and find out who is honest and does a good job. Could be the heads are good and all you need do is replace the intake manifold gasket.

I'm tired so nite-nite.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #165
wilrayca
AF Newbie

Hi, I started loosing coolant about a week ago, and was putting off doing the IMG till next week. Van has been running a little rough since. Went to start it today and now I have lots of white smoke out of the exhaust. Has anybody had large amounts of smoke and the cause be the intake gasket, or am I now looking a head gasket as well.
Thanks
wilrayca is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture