Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
sg delco
AF Newbie

l36 to l32 top swap

I have a 2003 impala ls 3.8 and have gotten my hands on a l32 gen v m90 supercharger. also have the gen v throttle body adapter, aside from the harmonic balancer and heads (supposedly) which parts do I need for a perfect top swap, my goal is to keep the engine as quiet and cold as possible while adding HP. for my trans I have the pioneer trans master kit

Thanks
sg delco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: l36 to l32 top swap

There is no supposedly, you need the heads too. I've been away from the supercharged W bodies for over 3 years and when GPF went down over a year ago there was no need for me to search anything else out since I didn't even own a W-body anymore.

Even with the trans master kit your trans will be a weak point. The HD trans was used in the supercharged variants for a reason. The diff is stronger and a trans rebuild won't solve that.

If you haven't already you'll want to add an external trans cooler. I see you're in Florida so I know you'll see some heat soak. Before my external cooler I saw my trans temps hit 230+ on a drive through some mountains. Luckily it wasn't hotter outside or else they may have been worse.

After that I installed the external cooler (inline with factory cooler to help maintain temps come winter time) and I never saw above 190.

You're going to need injectors and you're going to need a tune/tuner.

Stick with the stock supercharger pulley. Your NA engine has higher compression than factory supercharged 3.8s.

Quick list of stuff you'll definitely need

heads
head bolts
head gaskets
valve cover gaskets
harmonic balancer
SC belt tensioner and idlers
lower intake manifold
fuel rail and injectors
supercharger gasket
supercharger belt
ecu tune

There is probably much more. This isn't a project one should take on without doing a TON of research. The fact that you doubted the need for the supercharged heads shows you probably still need to do a lot of research before you get yourself into a mess. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

The differential in the 4T60/65 and variants was a problem in even N/A cars with any torque. Been there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
sg delco (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
sg delco
AF Newbie

Geesh that differential definitely couldn't handle the load

and I wasn't doubting the need for the supercharged heads I was saying this primarily because I ordered a new set of heads (gm3806) and another . and when searching for the l32 heads on rockauto it seemed the be the same parts.

Also would you please provide the remaining parts needed, ive done tons of research but it is usually l36 to l67 swap.

I also have (aside from blower, tb adapter, belt tensioner):
supercharger bypass filter (21913)
fuel injector (mp10661) was told to get Marlboro 455,450 from mechanic
supercharger coupling (917022)
intake plenum gasket (ms96789)
intake manifold gasket (ms959771)
cylinder head gaskets (9089PT)
fuel injector seal / o ring (es70599)
idler pulley (38009)
belt drive component kit (tensioner , belt) (90k38271)
fuel filter (f65717)
supercharger bypass solenoid / valve (u44001)

ive done research and seems I need
ACDELCO 12593195
AACDELCO 10469468

Any help is better than none thanks! ill upload pictures of everything in a few hours
Old 05-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
sg delco
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
There is no supposedly, you need the heads too. I've been away from the supercharged W bodies for over 3 years and when GPF went down over a year ago there was no need for me to search anything else out since I didn't even own a W-body anymore.

Even with the trans master kit your trans will be a weak point. The HD trans was used in the supercharged variants for a reason. The diff is stronger and a trans rebuild won't solve that.

If you haven't already you'll want to add an external trans cooler. I see you're in Florida so I know you'll see some heat soak. Before my external cooler I saw my trans temps hit 230+ on a drive through some mountains. Luckily it wasn't hotter outside or else they may have been worse.

After that I installed the external cooler (inline with factory cooler to help maintain temps come winter time) and I never saw above 190.

You're going to need injectors and you're going to need a tune/tuner.

Stick with the stock supercharger pulley. Your NA engine has higher compression than factory supercharged 3.8s.

Quick list of stuff you'll definitely need

heads
head bolts
head gaskets
valve cover gaskets
harmonic balancer
SC belt tensioner and idlers
lower intake manifold
fuel rail and injectors
supercharger gasket
supercharger belt
ecu tune

There is probably much more. This isn't a project one should take on without doing a TON of research. The fact that you doubted the need for the supercharged heads shows you probably still need to do a lot of research before you get yourself into a mess. Good luck.

thanks a ton, I replied to your post above. sent props

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS