Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
jimbob0077
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Lumina Brake Mastercylinder change

Well thought I would let everyone know that I finished with the brakes about a month ago. Waited this long to report so I could see if the result would last. Took one last shot at bleeding them. This time I attached a line level to the master cylinder and jacked the rear of the car until the M/C was a little nose down. Then bled the ABS module and the front brakes. Came out a little better, still a little soft. Next day they were better and the next better still. I would say they are now the best they have ever been. At this point I would say that the pedal is firm not hard. Problem is over the last month the firmness of the pedal varies. Don’t understand it. Sometimes it is excellent. I do know that it isn’t the rear brake adjustment as the parking brake engagement has remained the same. So if we discount the brake booster then I would say it has to be the ABS module. Not going to replace it, too expensive. Brakes still very good. Final note, rented a 2014 Ford Taurus (10,000 miles) last week and found the pedal feel about the same as the Lumina, that pedal also will go to the floor. Brakes are good enough for the winter. Next spring after the ABS module has been actuated a few times will bleed brakes again.
jimbob0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
jimbob0077
AF Newbie

It's been 2 years since posting last posting . Have not touched or worked on my brakes. During that time I have set my parking brake religiously every time I park my car. Same thing, sometimes brake pedal is ok sometimes not. Then this summer I started backing out of the driveway and aggressively stopping the car. Have noticed the brakes are the best they have ever been. Have come to the conclusion that the rear brake metering value has too much resistance and the rear brake shoes are too hard. To make the adjusters work the shoes have to grab the drums and the above things don't permit that to take place. So be aggressive to make those drums adjust. Setting the parking brake alone will not make them work.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #18
jimbob0077
AF Newbie

Got antilock warning light two months ago. Tried to figure out which wheel sensor was bad and decided that the car having 190k miles, wasn't worth the effort. So I pulled the ABS module breaker. Since I did that, the pedal height and firmness has improved greatly. Still working great after 2 months. Conclusion. I never had a mechanic with a scan tool bleed the ABS module after I replaced master cylinder. Didn't want to risk them breaking something on a car this old.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina