Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
mopar95
AF Newbie

2000 Express no spark

2000 Chevy Express. 5.7 350. This thing has been a headache since it came in. It would start and run for 2-3 minutes then stall. Start again, stall again. It would do this 3 times then not start for a few hours. It did this 4 times and now won't start at all. No spark. It was throwing a crank sensor code PO336.

What's been done/checked:
New crank sensor. (changed 2 times)
Still no spark
Ignition control module tested good
Coil tested good
Pickup coil/cam sensor tested along side a new one. Good.
New ECM pre-flashed from Autozone. Should at least try to start

Still no spark. But I finally was able to pull a code. PO336, crank sensor again. Changed it for the 3rd time. Still no spark.

A couple things that I have noticed:
The check engine light stays on. Normally it would go out after a few seconds. This stays lit. The other thing, the fuel pump runs when you first key on. No matter how many times you crank, it won't come back on until you key off. Key back on and the pump runs again.

Also, I am testing for spark at the coil. This way I eliminate the possibility of a bad cap/rotor. I have been able to test the wiring, as much as possible without a schematic. The yellow signal wire from crank sensor should carry a 5+ volt to ECM for signal to spark. It's not getting any voltage out. The crank sensor has a good ground and a 12+ key on. Same is true for the Icm. Up to the point that I changed the ECM, the coil also did. Now I have a key on 12+ on both sides of the coil. One should be a negative signal wire to spark that comes from the ICM.

If I have missed any info, please let me know. I am in dire need if some help before I just wipe my hands of this van.
mopar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 2000 Express no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar95 View Post
2000 Chevy Express. 5.7 350. This thing has been a headache since it came in. It would start and run for 2-3 minutes then stall. Start again, stall again. It would do this 3 times then not start for a few hours. It did this 4 times and now won't start at all. No spark. It was throwing a crank sensor code PO336.

Still no spark
Coil tested good

Still no spark. But I finally was able to pull a code. PO336, crank sensor again. Changed it for the 3rd time. Still no spark.

The check engine light stays on. Normally it would go out after a few seconds. This stays lit. The other thing, the fuel pump runs when you first key on. No matter how many times you crank, it won't come back on until you key off. Key back on and the pump runs again.

Also, I am testing for spark at the coil. This way I eliminate the possibility of a bad cap/rotor. I have been able to test the wiring, as much as possible without a schematic. The yellow signal wire from crank sensor should carry a 5+ volt to ECM for signal to spark. It's not getting any voltage out. The crank sensor has a good ground and a 12+ key on. Same is true for the Icm. Up to the point that I changed the ECM, the coil also did. Now I have a key on 12+ on both sides of the coil. One should be a negative signal wire to spark that comes from the ICM.

If I have missed any info, please let me know. I am in dire need if some help before I just wipe my hands of this van.
You might want to ceck ign switch and wiring to crank shaft sensor and other ign parts.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
thommy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar95 View Post

Still no spark
Coil tested good

Is this van fixed yet?
thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Jakevolmer
AF Newbie

Im having the same issue. I even ordered a new ecm and programmed it and still doesnt get a spark. Did you ever get the van running?
Jakevolmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakevolmer View Post
Im having the same issue. I even ordered a new ecm and programmed it and still doesnt get a spark. Did you ever get the van running?
His last post was 5 yrs ago.

But this sounds like a security issue. Is your security light on?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Jakevolmer
AF Newbie

No. I had that problem before but thats not it. It just shut off while i was driving and now wont start
Jakevolmer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van