Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
razr_88
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razr_88
hydrogen hybrid conversion?

ok i recently built myself an electrolysis unit that run off the current from an old fog light wire harness, and i was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach?

after i put it in, i had a thought, and it was this: will the sensors in my engine be able to compensate for the added hydrogen and oxygen in the air? it should, shouldn't it?

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated
razr_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Re: hydrogen hybrid conversion?

you're not going to get increased gas mileage from electrolising water then burning it, it's actually going to decrease your gas mileage. and i don't think your sensors will notice the hydrogen.

but when you break up the water into hydrogen and oxygen, you lose some energy, then when you burn them you lose some more. if you used a hydrogen fuel cell, you would get 80-90% of the total energy possible out of the hydrogen. when you burn it you get around 30-40% (and that's being generous, in your case it would probably be less) so if you're going for increased gas mileage, this is not going to work.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
vijayadi
AF Newbie

Re: hydrogen hybrid conversion? http://www.autoindia.com

Do you know when India or asia will have hydrogen cars

Thanks,
Vijay
http://www.autoindia.com
vijayadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
ifidie2nite
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr_88
ok i recently built myself an electrolysis unit that run off the current from an old fog light wire harness, and i was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach?

after i put it in, i had a thought, and it was this: will the sensors in my engine be able to compensate for the added hydrogen and oxygen in the air? it should, shouldn't it?

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated
You can increase your mileage by using a hydrogen reformer on your car, I'm not quite sure though about an electrolyser. Either way, your emissions are cleaner due to the higher hydrogen content going into the combusiton chamber, which will make more water vapor, rather than just oxygen and nitrogen.

If con is the opposite of pro, then the opposite of progress is congress.

If you spin an oriental man in a circle three times, does he become disoriented?

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
ifidie2nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
razr_88
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razr_88

ok i know that an engine will run on hydrogen, because the mythbusters prooved that it works on national television. what about using the solution of drano, water and scrap aluminum(cans, foil, etc.) to produce the h2.

what if you sealed the container to contain the pressure build up, and used a valve to aspirate the gas into the engine?

i know that the gas reaction will not stop until the aluminum is gone.

another idea is using a cable(bicycle brake, parking brake) pull the aluminum out of the solution to stop the reaction when you don't need the gas... ie.: engine off, parking u know...
razr_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
302exploder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 302exploder

the mythbusters did not prove that a car will run on hydrogen. if you kept watching, they realized that the reason the car still ran was because there was some residual fuel in the system. the next time they tried it, it sorta blew up in their faces.
302exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
drew300
AF Enthusiast

The info I had said that it takes about 1.4 W of electricity to electrolyse 1Ws worth of hydrogen. So we need a lot of cheap electricity form somewhere.
But i can see it reducing pollutents.
drew300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
brokenantimatter
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302exploder
the mythbusters did not prove that a car will run on hydrogen. if you kept watching, they realized that the reason the car still ran was because there was some residual fuel in the system. the next time they tried it, it sorta blew up in their faces.
The engine cranked over using a home-made fuel cell because of residule fuel. Afterwards Jamie used a hydrogen cylinder and leaked hydrogen into the carb and it ran then caught on fire.
brokenantimatter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General