Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Bart8528
AF Newbie

2000 Windstar coolant leak mystery

I have (had) a coolant leak coming from somewhere behind the engine (right side). It leaked for about two days onto the driveway and now has quit. While it was dripping, from off the gear case, fom somewhere above it, I got under the vehicle to see if I could see from where. Couldn't find anything. Looked from on top, nothing there either. So I decided to remove the cowel for a better looksee. Because it had stopped, I filled the fill bottle, ran the engine to heat it up, but can't make it start to leak again. Anyone out there with any experience with this sort of thing? I know it was coolant and it was sure a bonafide leak, ha. Forgot; it's a 3.8 engine.
Bart8528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 2000 Windstar coolant leak mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart8528
I have (had) a coolant leak coming from somewhere behind the engine (right side). It leaked for about two days onto the driveway and now has quit. While it was dripping, from off the gear case, fom somewhere above it, I got under the vehicle to see if I could see from where. Couldn't find anything. Looked from on top, nothing there either. So I decided to remove the cowel for a better looksee. Because it had stopped, I filled the fill bottle, ran the engine to heat it up, but can't make it start to leak again. Anyone out there with any experience with this sort of thing? I know it was coolant and it was sure a bonafide leak, ha. Forgot; it's a 3.8 engine.
Leaks can be hard to find.
Sometimes they leak cold or warm or hot and some times under light or more or sometimes even no pressure.
A rad pressure rester is a must in finding leaks.
Also they make a leak dye for coolant to find the source of hard to find leaks
Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
jakethebt
AF Newbie

Mine was doing the same thing, but instead of dripping it was smoking. Stop, look under the hood and nothing. It has not gotten much worse and appears to be the rear head gasket. When it was smoking it looked like it was coming up from under the power steering pump. I have heard that a leaky intake manifold gasket, lower, sometimes (often) go bad and make you think that the head gasket is blown. I eventually found the leak coming from what appears to be the head and block. The leak appears to be external only. I am still not convinced that it is the head gasket over the intake, but I am planning on repairing both. If I see evidence along the way that I can stop before the heads, I may. On the other hand, I am tearing the pc of crap down, so I might as well go all the way....

I have a 1999 3.8 with 105000 miles if that helps...

Good luck.
jakethebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Goodbye
AF Newbie

I just had this fixed on mine, a 2000 with 110K. It was a small metal pipe under the throttle body between the upper and lower intake manifolds. It's brazed from the factory and the brazing cracked forming a leak. It's obviously a common problem because Frod(Ford) had the part in stock. It cost me $250 parts and labor, which isn't too bad. Hope that helps.
Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
whaleman
AF Newbie

[QUOTE]I have (had) a coolant leak coming from somewhere behind the engine (right side). It leaked for about two days onto the driveway and now has quit. While it was dripping, from off the gear case, fom somewhere above it, I got under the vehicle to see if I could see from where. Couldn't find anything. Looked from on top, nothing there either. So I decided to remove the cowel for a better looksee. Because it had stopped, I filled the fill bottle, ran the engine to heat it up, but can't make it start to leak again. Anyone out there with any experience with this sort of thing? I know it was coolant and it was sure a bonafide leak, ha. Forgot; it's a 3.8 engine[/QUOTE]

I got this same problem on my 2001 Windstar, it is almost impossible to see where the coolant is leaking from, but it drips between the transmission and the engine in the underside and it is coming from somewhere above the intake manifold near the thermostat but being blocked by view by the throttle body. It leaks quite a bit, but I am wondering if this same pipe might be a common problem to these models.

Any insight welcomed.
whaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
SlimJimRD
AF Regular

There was pipe that was leaking on mine (3.8L). See this link. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=657317
SlimJimRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
whaleman
AF Newbie

Thanks Slimjim, I am set to try to fix this tube this weekend.
whaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
tjgalvez
AF Newbie

Check the crossover hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump. Mine is a 1995, 3.8L and there is a pinhole and very hard to see. I use a drexel to cut the factory crimped clamp on the waterpump side and got the replacement hose from Y2K ford, seattle and I think it cost less than $15.00. I'm not sure if your 2000 have a crossover hose or pipe.

tjg
tjgalvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
daveck2
AF Newbie

Thumbs up 2001 Windstar coolant pipe hose leak solved

True, the coolant crossover pipe on the 3.8 has a defect that will cause it to leak at a given point (after warranty). My pipe looked brand new but had a pinhole leak that would have never been found had I not run the engine a luckily saw a small stream coming out from under the upper intake plenum.

The other pipe that this connects to which tees off into the water pump and to the firewall hoses sprung a similar leak.

Picture can be seen at following link: Pinhole leak:
http://picasaweb.google.com/EckFamil...01800148136290

Location of other pipe: Pipe has yellow sticker attached
http://picasaweb.google.com/EckFamil...01804443103602

This is a picture of the pipe that runs under the intake, the shiny new one in the center of the pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/EckFamil...01813033038226

The pipe with the yellow tape is the new replacement. $30 bucks, $60 for the one under the intake! Beware, this one has a bolt on the rear of the PS pump and connects to a firewall heater hose T and to the hose that runs under the Intake. I wish I would have known about this problem when I replaced the Isolator bolts about a year ago.

I plan to put a case together and present it to FORD to show that the pipes are in like new condition and that the leak obviously (from reading other message boards) is caused by a defect in Manufacturing. I plan to get my $$ back for their negligence. Who's In!

D
daveck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
MARZBX157
AF Regular

Does any one know if the replacment part is an upgrade to the original one? I ask because how would we know this leak wont develope again.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
daveck2
AF Newbie

Ford won't say, but my guess is these are identical to the ones on the assembly line. Why would they scrap all those spares and reproduce a quality product free of defects. It would cost them too much $$$ for little benifit (for them, they sell more pipes). I figure the ones on my van lasted around 70-80k, so you can figure something else will put this van in the grave before the coolant pipes fail again
D
daveck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
jgattian
AF Newbie

My 2001 had the same problem in October. The Ford parts guy called it a "Y" pipe. It comes out of the top of the water pump. It had a pin hole leak that could only be seen after taking out the bad part filling it with water and the using my air compressor pressurizing the pipe. The very smallest of holes located near a solder joint at one of the mounting brackets. The hardest part during the replacement was removing the hoses. Three small bolts hold it on. It friction fits into the top of the water pump with a rubber o-ring providing the seal.

Part Number:118 XF2Z 18663 AA $35.00 at my Ford dealer
2001 Sienna
1998 Civic
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
pitteach
AF Regular

I did this fix last year on the y-pipe. I expected it after noticing that the thing looked like it was 100 yrs old. Problem was, I cracked the water pump housing trying to get this out. Had to replace water pump. Big job-not fun. I'm keeping an eye on the replacement pipe (cheap crud- made in Mexico) and its starting to look a lot like it did before it blew the last time. Also expecting the pipe under the manifold to go at any moment. Too bad one (or many)small cheap part can render this vehicle useless.
pitteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
MoCotton
AF Newbie

Thanks to all you who have posted, it helps so much to have an idea of what to look for. Also, has anyone had any air in coolant system problems? Is there some method required to remove air bubbles?? I had an Aerostar that was a bugger to purge the air from the coolant. Thks all.
MoCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCotton View Post
Thanks to all you who have posted, it helps so much to have an idea of what to look for. Also, has anyone had any air in coolant system problems? Is there some method required to remove air bubbles?? I had an Aerostar that was a bugger to purge the air from the coolant. Thks all.
If you need help on yours.
Best to start a New thread on your problem and give year make and modle and engine and a good discription of your problem.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar