Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > E Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
E Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford E-150, Ford E-250, Ford E-350, and Ford E-450.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
kruptedk9
AF Newbie

Is this the master cylinder, booster, or both?

My 1999 Ford E250 van lost her brakes the other day. It was a gradual thing so I was able to adjust and take things easy until I got home. I added some brake fluid since it was all gone from the reservoir and looked around while my partner applied the brakes with the engine running. Brake fluid was literally spraying from what I take to be a vacuum hose that runs down the entire length of the drivers side. I have yet to find its beginning or end. It has been raining the last few days. The hose is one of those light rubber deals that is about 5/8" diameter. It had been previously spliced and that is where the fluid was spraying from. I believe the hose is related to the ABS brakes that a previous owner removed. From my understanding there would be only one way to get brake fluid into a vacuum line and that would be through the vacuum booster. For that to happen though the master cylinder would have to fail. I am assuming the booster itself is functioning since the brake pedal worked as smoothly as ever. So my inclination is to replace the master cylinder and bleed all the lines. Actually as I reread this I wonder if the booster has failed as well for how else would the fluid get in to a vacuum line along with positive pressure. What do you think?
kruptedk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
kruptedk9
AF Newbie

Re: Is this the master cylinder, booster, or both?

never mind. It is a brake line that is leaking I just couldn't tell in the dim light and all.
kruptedk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > E Series