Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
mbunakeith
AF Regular

warning to 99-2003 9-3 and 9-5 owners

i am a saab technician and i just want to let you know what we have been finding out lately. 99'-2003 9-3's and 9-5's are experiencing engine failures, noises and oil problems. at my shop we conclude it is because f a few things. most notably that the oil change interval is too short. saab recommends semi-synthetic oil for these cars and t change it and the filter every 5k miles. i dont think that is a good idea. we are seeing many, many of these cars with huge sludge problems. the problem is either oil breaking down prematurely, oil being cooked by catalytic converter (located directly underneath oil pan), or that 5k miles is too long to wait to change oil. i recommend that EVERY saab owner switch to full synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles. if you dont want to switch to full synthetic, stick with semi-synthetic and go back to 3k mi. oil change intervals. we have had many engines with internal parts just coated with thick, nasty tar. these cars either have all or some of the following symptoms: oil pressure light on/flickering, timing/balance chain noise (rattling), broken rods, oil consumption, buzzing noise from oil cavitating. on all of the cars we look at, there is a problem with sludge and most have stuck to the owners manual for service intervals. this stinks big time. because we love these cars. spread tha word. up those oil changes. we really need sombody to come up with a way to shield the oil pan from the heat of the cat converter. dont be surprised if you see a lot of saabs with this problem. we (our dealership) bought 10 used saabs from an auction in manheim a few months ago. out of those 10 cars, 2 had noisey timing chains and one had the engine blow up on the customer after they had it a month. on all occasions the oil pick up tube screens were packed with debris. this is causing oil starvation to critical components. just thought you should know.
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: warning to 99-2003 9-3 and 9-5 owners

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/information_ccv_en.shtml

An update that solves these problem is said to come shortly.

Still, if you change the oil every 10000 km instead of the 20000 km interval Saab recommends this should make these problems very unlikely. There is also a new better oil filter availible that should be fitted during service. The oil should be a semi or fully synthetic oil of high quality.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
mbunakeith
AF Regular

that link is all good, but notice how many times saab has tried to fix this. they cant. period. i have worked for them for too long to know they have very poor turn around on problems. we have installed kits, drilled holes, replaced check valves. you know what the latest update is? to put the car back to its original pcv configuration. plain and simple you should shorten the oil change interval and switch to full-synthetic oil. i dont trust saab to ever fix this problem. the link was right though. you skip one oil change and you are done. time for a new engine. we see it all the time.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

On M04 and newer the engine block was replaced with one that has ventilation from the crankcase. This have been said to solve the problem.

M06 and following is said to have a new sump containing 6 litres of oil instead of 4. This should further reduce the risk for oil sludge.

A larger kit that solves the problem is said to come soon, rumor says it includes a new crankcase ventilation and a larger oil sump.

The current problem also seems model related, it's more common on 9-5 than on 9-3 even though they have the same engines.

Audi, Toyota and Chrysler also have similar problems.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
mbunakeith
AF Regular

"On M04 and newer the engine block was replaced with one that has ventilation from the crankcase. This have been said to solve the problem."

what are they going to do with the older cars? you say a new sump. i say lets wait and see. what are we going to do? put oil reservoirs on them?

we do more 9-3 engines that anything else by far. i believe that we do 3 9-3's to every 9-5. especially premature timing chain wear issues. dont really know why.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
mbunakeith
AF Regular

the only engines that hold 6L are the sport sedan 2.0L and new 2.8v6. we dont have sludge issues with those yet,but a myriad of other oil consumptin issues. the power steering seals blow out and suck engine oil(2.0) into them. the p/s reservoir overflows with engine oil. piston rings are an issue (on 2.0)
so far the only issue about the 2.8v6 we hear about is that a bunch of blocks were mismachined and require replacement. havent seen any of those yet. i hav to say the 2.8v6 is a fast engine. wayyyyyyyy better acceleration than any other saab v6 by far. it will almost keep up with a 2000 viggen (2.3L).

the 9-5's still only hold 4L of oil.
still same
Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
mbunakeith
AF Regular

also, there is a new campaign on the 04's to replace the pcv canister on the block.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
seraph boy
AF Newbie

Famuily traded there's in for a volvo but i won't go there, have a look on
Looking at 2000 9-5 w/ 2.3...
by seraph boy | 11-03-2006 12:52 PM
In the saab 9-5 section
everything is explained there
seraph boy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD