Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
brad_26
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to brad_26 Send a message via Yahoo to brad_26
model lathes/milling machines

who has them and how do u like them i was think about getting them any one have any ne prefrences on the make of them
brad_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: model lathes/milling machines

Im working on getting a medium size lathe, for heavy machining. Roughly 9x20 to 11x30. Most model lathes are 7x10 to 7x14. Sherline makes some pretty good lathes for models, but I dont think you could get away machining big parts for several hours at a time.

Also looking at getting a medium size mill.

I suggest brands like: Sherline, Homier, Rockwell/Delta, Clark, and a few others. With the lathes from Grizzly, and Harbor Freight, you will have to completely disassemble them and clean them up. As well as adjust all the slop. But you should know a good amount about lathes before disassembling.

Be careful, lathes weigh anywhere from 30lbs, up to 500lbs (for modeling to medium size, larger ones weigh 1000lbs up) and the shipping can be ungodly.

Also, a decent lathe 7x12 will set you back about $600+ and that doesnt include tools. Mills are around the same price, without tools.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #3
Dr.AK
AF Enthusiast

Could anyone tell me what a lathe or a mill is exactly? I know that they are used to produce parts made out of metal , but I've no idea how that works. Please, tell me. I'm curious.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AK
Could anyone tell me what a lathe or a mill is exactly? I know that they are used to produce parts made out of metal , but I've no idea how that works. Please, tell me. I'm curious.

Lathe : A machine for shaping a piece of material, such as wood or metal, by rotating it rapidly along its axis while pressing against a fixed cutting or abrading tool.

Milling:The act or employment of grinding or passing through a mill; the process of fulling; the process of making a raised or intented edge upon coin, etc.; the process of dressing surfaces of various shapes with rotary cutters.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Dr.AK
AF Enthusiast

Ah, thank you for clearing that up!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I have a Sherline lathe and mill. They're perfect for modeling. The lathe turns terrific shocks and brakes (see my F50 thread for an example). A decent small lathe/mill combo will run you at least $500 - $700. Hard to justify for just car modeling, but home machining is truely another hobby into itself. I've been doing it about 5 years- I started when I scratch built an astronomical telescope. The Sherline setup was just big enough to machine telescope components, and it was a hell of alot of fun to build.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you. Meanwhile, check out

www.sherline.com

It's enough to give you a good intro. Don't bother with larger machines unless you're going to have a use for larger machines- but decide what you're going to want do do before buying anything.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
p9o1r1sche

I have a 7X10 lathe from Harbor Freight in the US. Its a Chinese design that is made by a number of Chinese companies and sold through a number of places like Harbor Freight, Micromark, etc. I chose this lathe because the bed is cast iron and looks much sturdier than the Sherline. There is a website and forum that can get you started from square one. Its called mini-lathe.com If you are interested in a lathe, I suggest you check it out. You'll find out what you're getting into. My whole setup cost about $700, and includes the lathe, some tooling, drill bits, and a bench grinder for making the cutting tools. I always have a blast making parts with it. I only got it for modeling, which makes it kind of expensive, but if I need it for making parts for other things, I have it. I also suggest you find a place to set it up permanently. I cant imagine having to move this thing around everytime you want to use it.
p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
Eyeball Kid
AF Newbie

I've heard some rumblings about getting a CNC mill at work, then possibly a lathe later on. Please please please please please please please....
Eyeball Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
weaponCIVIC
AF Enthusiast

a small one like in the picture would be 500 bucks?

we have ones at my school that are bigger than me.....

"Look as far as the eye can see, go there, then look farther."
weaponCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Re: model lathes/milling machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponCIVIC
a small one like in the picture would be 500 bucks?

we have ones at my school that are bigger than me.....
You're very lucky, those are thousands over dollars and thousands of pounds.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
brad_26
AF Newbie

I got no problem with the big parts if i need to ill got to my fathers gun shop he has alot of the big stuff i just want a small mill and lathe for the small parts so i dont have to go back and forth every time.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

So you already have machining experience? What kinds of things are you wanting to make?

If all you need is smallish equipment, a Sherline lathe can be had for $483, and then another $139 for a vertical milling column will convert it into a perfectly adequate small mill. You'd still need a few excessories (end mills, collets, vise, etc.), but I doubt you'll find a less expensive set of tools. They're certaily more than enough for modelling applications.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #13
brad_26
AF Newbie

i was thinking about makin some delrin slicks for cars and maybe attempting a aluminum block for my stang some simple small stuff for my cars. Im olny 16 so i dont have that much money but my dads going to get me one of the model lathes soon for my b-day i have made tons of control arms and stuff for my rc cars so i think im pretty good at this kind of small stuff.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling